Why am I getting negative time in Newton's law of cooling?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
rocomath
Messages
1,752
Reaction score
1
So I have a slight problem since I'm getting a negative for time.

A murder victim is discovered at midnight and the temperature of the body is recorded at 31C. One hour later, the temperature of the body is 29C. Assume that the surrounding air temperature remains constant at 21C.

a) Find k

[tex]T=A+(T_0-A)e^{-kt}[/tex]

[tex]T(1)=21+(31-21)e^{-k}=29[/tex]

[tex]k=\ln{\frac 5 4}[/tex]

b) Solve for t

[tex]37=21+(31-21)e^{-t\ln{\frac 5 4}}[/tex]

[tex]16=10e^{\ln{\frac 4 5}^t}[/tex]

[tex]t=\frac{\ln{\frac 8 5}}{\ln{\frac 4 5}}[/tex]

But this gives me a negative t. Would that be okay since I'm trying to use this t value to compute an earlier time?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

t=0 when the body is discovered and is at 31 C. So it would have been 37 C at an earlier (negative) time.