Why are electrons more energetic than hot protons in a three-population plasma?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Heimdall
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Energies Plasma
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Heimdall
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Let's consider a plasma of 3 distinct populations : 1 cold proton population of 0.2 density, 1 hot proton population of 0.8 density, and one electron population.

I have [tex]T_i=T_e[/tex] and I set the velocity of my cold population to 0. I expected that te energy of my hot proton population to be equal to the energy of my electron population, but in fact the electrons are always a bit mor energetic than my protons.

Am I right, should I expect the energies to be equal ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Having distinct cold and hot populations of protons would be rather impossible - there is usually continuous distribution. The electrons would rapidly equilibrate to the proton temperatures since the electrons are much lighter and the coulomb forces are considerable. The electrons temperatures are approximately those of the protons for those reasons, and perhaps slightly cooler since electrons lose energy more readily due to brehmsstrahlung, and if magnetically confined, cyclotron radiation.

Only with external heating (e.g. RF) would electrons be hotter - but only while the external heating is applied.