Why are humans so dominant over other species?

  • Thread starter Thread starter revv
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Strange
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
41 replies · 8K views
DennisN said:
spider-memory-500x318-jpg.jpg

I don't get it.

OCR said:
Lol..... :ok:
 
Attachments
  • spider-memory-500x318-jpg.jpg
    spider-memory-500x318-jpg.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
DennisN said:
That's debatable. I've heard it said that "insects" is derived from "in" meaning small and "sect" meaning "nasty creature", so "insects" include spiders, little yippy dogs, and the late Truman Capote.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Bystander and ISamson
revv said:
What is going on? Anyone else think all of this is very strange (Existence, The Universe, Everything) I mean what the hell is going on why are we here and why are we so dominant over other species on this earth? It's as if we are playing a video game and have cheat codes.

Also a lot of video games seems to be emulating our lives I find this kind of weird but cool I guess. I like to think of it like the reflection of water reflecting something and video games are reflecting us.

We completely dominate the creatures of this Earth there is no comparison, anyone have any idea why this is?

This place can be VERY cruel also, can you imagine getting eaten alive by a lion?

And the manipulation of the electromagnetic radiation is so fascinating and incredible like how does something like that even exist?
.
Anyways I am just rambling now, would love to hear your thoughts.

I have often wondered about this, why us, humans?
One of my wonders is consciousness:
I find that only intelligent beings can think about: "Who am I?", "Why was I born human (for example)?", "What the heck am I doing here?", because, in my opinion, this is a special ability to think about an own self. This is just interesting. Great questions, OP.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: AlexCaledin
Noisy Rhysling said:
♫People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down ♫

OCR said:
♫ When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain...
When you're strange
No one remembers your name... ♫
Takes me back to about 1968, and The Doors.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Noisy Rhysling and dlgoff
quote-the-truth-always-turns-out-to-be-simpler-than-you-thought-richard-p-feynman-53-10-06.jpg
 
Attachments
  • quote-the-truth-always-turns-out-to-be-simpler-than-you-thought-richard-p-feynman-53-10-06.jpg
    quote-the-truth-always-turns-out-to-be-simpler-than-you-thought-richard-p-feynman-53-10-06.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 501
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ISamson
I would suggest we treat games as games and separate them from our reality.
 
DJlyJmEWsAAvtWs.jpg

quote-reality-is-an-illusion-that-occurs-due-to-the-lack-of-alcohol-w-c-fields-57-75-60.jpg
 
Attachments
  • DJlyJmEWsAAvtWs.jpg
    DJlyJmEWsAAvtWs.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 524
  • quote-reality-is-an-illusion-that-occurs-due-to-the-lack-of-alcohol-w-c-fields-57-75-60.jpg
    quote-reality-is-an-illusion-that-occurs-due-to-the-lack-of-alcohol-w-c-fields-57-75-60.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 571
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: ISamson
Noisy Rhysling said:
♫People are strange when you're a stranger
Faces look ugly when you're alone
Women seem wicked when you're unwanted
Streets are uneven when you're down ♫
OCR said:
♫ When you're strange
Faces come out of the rain...
When you're strange
No one remembers your name... ♫
Mark44 said:
Takes me back to about 1968, and The Doors.
Well, that IS strange !
... knew that was coming, right ? . :biggrin:
 
Last edited:
What if, whenever you look in the mirror, the person looking at you actually is you, and you are just a reflection of him? And that you will vanish the moment he turns away from the mirror?
 
Krunchyman said:
What if, whenever you look in the mirror, the person looking at you actually is you, and you are just a reflection of him? And that you will vanish the moment he turns away from the mirror?

Then I'm happy to have existed for that brief moment in time. Well, I'm not, as I obviously exist since I'm not looking into a mirror now, but I'm sure the other me was happy.
 
revv said:
What is going on? Anyone else think all of this is very strange (Existence, The Universe, Everything) I mean what the hell is going on why are we here and why are we so dominant over other species on this earth?.

It all makes perfect sense to me. But I am old and have traveled far and now I rest. As my answer to your question, I'll leave you with a riddle:

##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=-y^3+by+c##
 
Last edited:
aheight said:
It all makes perfect sense to me. But I am old and have traveled far and now I rest. As my answer to your question, I'll leave you with a riddle:

##\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=-y^3+by+c##
Ha! I worked that one in grade school!Got it wrong then, too.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Drakkith