Why are wavefunctions represented as eigenvectors?

Hi I was learning about eigenvectors, inner products, Dirac notation etc. But I don't get why wave functions are represented as eigenvectors?

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
...why wave functions are represented as eigenvectors?
Because it makes the math easier.

Technically - the wave-function is a state-vector.
We like to resolve them into eigenvectors (also called eigenfunctions) for the same reason we like to resolve a velocity vector into components: it makes the math easier.

All wave-functions are vectors because they transform as vectors - so "function" and "vector" mean the same thing.

could you elaborate with an example please?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Do you even know what an eigenvector is? The reason I ask is that four hours ago you asked "Hey all, does anyone a great place to learn linear algebra online? Thanks for any help. " It took me more than four hours to learn linear algebra.

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm with Vanadium 50.
There are plenty of examples in standard texts in linear algebra - you should have seen them already.

I only learnt eigenvectors, eigenvalues, dirac notation and inner products. I already knew how to work with matrices.I just haven't seen how to use them in qm.

I'm motivated. Science is my life. I don't spend my time playing games like my other friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Do you know what a vector space is?
Have you seen that functions are vectors in their own right?
Or are you thinking that a vector is a column (or row) of numbers?

See also:
https://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~ece204/howtos/functions/

All the rest is just different ways of writing vectors down.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks, I didn't know that vectors=functions in a way.

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Yep - after grokking that, it remains only to figure which representation of vectors is the one you want to deal with. Some of the cooler ways can look a lot like magic.

This gets very useful when you have to deal with much more complicated systems where writing down the functions normally can occupy a whole page - it can also obscure the relationships that you are interested in.

Thanks again, is this the basis for the linear algebra formulation of QM?

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Um - it is a demonstration that there is no useful distinction to be made between the wavefunction and state-vector formulation. The formulation is just notation.

Khashishi
Science Advisor
We have a linear algebra formulation of QM because Schrödinger's equation is linear. That is, if A and B are solutions, then c1*A + c2*B is a solution.