Why can't an alpha particle be captured by the nucleus?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of alpha particles attempting to tunnel out of the nucleus and the relationship between the velocity and size of the nucleus and the number of hits per second. There is also mention of dimensional analysis and a rough derivation for the number of hits per second from a single alpha particle. It is clarified that classical mechanics is not applicable in this scenario.
rwooduk
I understand that there are many attempts from inside the nucleus to tunnel out therefore if it was just one alpha particle trying to get in it wouldn't happen. I'm struggling with this derivation from class to describe the number of attempts:

I4F7bHz.jpg

How does a velocity and size of the nucleus result in the number of hits per second? It works with dimensional analysis i.e. m/s / m = 1/s ---> frequency.

But this hits per second has been derived from a single alpha particle. I'm a little confused. Any insights on this rough derivation and an explanation would really be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, it ricochets back and forth, I see now. Please feel free to delete this. Although any comments are still welcome.

rwooduk said:
Oh, it ricochets back and forth, I see now.
Right.

Keep in mind that this evaluation is only a very rough approximation - there is not an actual alpha particle moving around in the nucleus as classical mechanics is not useful for systems like this.

Likes rwooduk

1. Why can't an alpha particle be captured by the nucleus?

An alpha particle, which is made up of two protons and two neutrons, carries a significant amount of energy. This energy makes it difficult for the alpha particle to be captured by the nucleus, as it would require a strong force to overcome the repulsive forces between the positively charged protons in the nucleus and the alpha particle.

2. Can any other type of particle be captured by the nucleus?

Yes, other particles such as electrons, protons, and neutrons can be captured by the nucleus. These particles have a smaller mass and are able to interact with the nucleus through the strong nuclear force, which is stronger than the repulsive forces between particles with like charges.

3. What happens if an alpha particle collides with the nucleus?

If an alpha particle collides with the nucleus, it can either bounce off due to the repulsive forces, or it can undergo nuclear reactions such as fusion or fission. These reactions can result in the formation of new elements or the release of large amounts of energy.

4. Why is the strong force important for capturing particles in the nucleus?

The strong nuclear force is responsible for holding the nucleus together and is stronger than the repulsive forces between particles with like charges. This force allows for the capture of particles such as protons and neutrons, which are essential for stabilizing the nucleus and determining its properties.

5. Is it possible for an alpha particle to be captured by the nucleus under certain conditions?

In rare cases, an alpha particle can be captured by the nucleus if it has a lower energy level and the nucleus has a higher energy level. This can occur in highly unstable nuclei, but it is not a common occurrence due to the strong repulsive forces between the particles.