Why can't Microsoft make a quality product?

My XBOX 360 has broken four times now, I have Vista which is a complete disaster, and my Zune doesn't even work with the operating system that they made. I would start buying products from a new company but many other companies are even worse than Microsoft is.

Answers and Replies

well, think this way... if they actually make a quality product, who's gonna buy the new shinny "upgrades" they come up 3 years from now?

well, think this way... if they actually make a quality product, who's gonna buy the new shinny "upgrades" they come up 3 years from now?
That's true but I think a lot of people are going to be afraid to buy anything made by Microsoft at that point.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My XBOX 360 has broken four times now,
There is no market advantage in making a reliable games console. Nobody chooses a games console based on MTBF, the only thing that matters is first to market - or getting enough onto the shelves in time for christmas.

I have Vista which is a complete disaster,
No it isn't - in computer terms it's only a standard disaster.

and my Zune doesn't even work with the operating system that they made.
It only stop working on one day every four years - just reboot every new presidential inauguration!

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Get a PS3. Its a much better product. :approve:

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I would start buying products from a new company but many other companies are even worse than Microsoft is.
There's your answer. It's as good as it has to be.

It only stop working on one day every four years - just reboot every new presidential inauguration!
No, it doesn't work on Vista at all. I need to download the update but I really don't have the time to go through all of that.

Operating systems, game counsels, and other like products are very difficult to design and manufacturer, you cant expect them to be perfect. If you think microsoft is so bad, then why buy their products? Most people do it because there is no one that makes a better that is even good enough to compete.

I bought their products because the PS3 was way too expensive at the time, the Zune was a better value and worked on XP which I had at the time and I am stuck with Vista until I download Linux or get Windows 7.

G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
If only there were some viable alternatives to putting up with Microsoft's crap. If I can think of any I'll help you out...

http://www.producepedia.com/images/commodity/apples.jpg [Broken]

http://it.stlawu.edu/~biology/images/art_Penguins_emperor_and_chick.jpg

Nothing. Seems my mind got off track there...

Last edited by a moderator:
If only there were some viable alternatives to putting up with Microsoft's crap. If I can think of any I'll help you out...
Precious. :rofl:

Newspeak
Microsoft Works is an oxymoron!
:rofl::rofl:

Microsoft Works is an oxymoron!
:rofl::rofl:
Can you even get MS works on a PC anymore?

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, the new works comes with office 2007 and excel 2007.

That doesn't make any sense. MS office 2007 is a suite which contains excel 2007 among other software. MS Works was MS's version of Open Office that was free to use.

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wonder if its because my dad also has word 2007 and excel 2007 if they replace the other ones in open office. I didn't realise he did have them although they could be part of the free trial versions.