Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't Microsoft make a quality product?

1. Jan 11, 2009 #1
    My XBOX 360 has broken four times now, I have Vista which is a complete disaster, and my Zune doesn't even work with the operating system that they made. I would start buying products from a new company but many other companies are even worse than Microsoft is.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2009 #2
    well, think this way... if they actually make a quality product, who's gonna buy the new shinny "upgrades" they come up 3 years from now?

4. Jan 11, 2009 #3
    That's true but I think a lot of people are going to be afraid to buy anything made by Microsoft at that point.

5. Jan 11, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no market advantage in making a reliable games console. Nobody chooses a games console based on MTBF, the only thing that matters is first to market - or getting enough onto the shelves in time for christmas.

No it isn't - in computer terms it's only a standard disaster.

It only stop working on one day every four years - just reboot every new presidential inauguration!

6. Jan 11, 2009 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Get a PS3. Its a much better product. :approve:

7. Jan 11, 2009 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

There's your answer. It's as good as it has to be.

8. Jan 11, 2009 #7
    No, it doesn't work on Vista at all. I need to download the update but I really don't have the time to go through all of that.

9. Jan 11, 2009 #8
    Operating systems, game counsels, and other like products are very difficult to design and manufacturer, you cant expect them to be perfect. If you think microsoft is so bad, then why buy their products? Most people do it because there is no one that makes a better that is even good enough to compete.

10. Jan 11, 2009 #9
    I bought their products because the PS3 was way too expensive at the time, the Zune was a better value and worked on XP which I had at the time and I am stuck with Vista until I download Linux or get Windows 7.

11. Jan 11, 2009 #10

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If only there were some viable alternatives to putting up with Microsoft's crap. If I can think of any I'll help you out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nothing. Seems my mind got off track there...

12. Jan 11, 2009 #11
    Precious. :rofl:

13. Jan 11, 2009 #12
    Microsoft Works is an oxymoron!
    :rofl::rofl:

14. Jan 11, 2009 #13
    Can you even get MS works on a PC anymore?

15. Jan 11, 2009 #14

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the new works comes with office 2007 and excel 2007.

16. Jan 11, 2009 #15
    That doesn't make any sense. MS office 2007 is a suite which contains excel 2007 among other software. MS Works was MS's version of Open Office that was free to use.

17. Jan 11, 2009 #16

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wonder if its because my dad also has word 2007 and excel 2007 if they replace the other ones in open office. I didn't realise he did have them although they could be part of the free trial versions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?