Why can't we invest in privately owned Space Companies?

• Thread starter BenVitale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: The article mentions four private companies that are doing pioneering work in commercial spaceflight: Virgin Galactic, SpaceX, Blue Origin, and Stratolaunch Systems. Virgin Galactic is a commercial spaceflight company founded by Richard Branson. The company is currently working on developing a commercial spaceplane to provide suborbital flights to tourists.SpaceX is a private American aerospace manufacturer and space transportation services company founded by Elon Musk. The company has developed the Falcon 1 and Falcon 9 launch vehicles, both of which have been used to launch cargo and NASA astronauts to the International Space Station (ISS).Blue Origin is a privately owned company founded by Jeff Bezos that is developing technologies to enable commercial human spaceflight. The company is currently
BenVitale
According to this article...

Like publically traded space companies, the number of privately owned space companies continues to grow. It is not possible to invest in privately held companies by purchasing stock, so to contribute to their success it might be worth considering directly patronizing their services, making a donation (though usually not tax-deductible), or volunteering your time or abilities.

Source: Privately Owned Space Companies

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You can invest in private corporations, space flight or not. You simply don't have the mechanisms of stock markets and brokerages and all that good stuff. You have to approach them directly to see if they'll even accept your investment. Most companies don't want public investment because by other people owning part of your company, they also have the power to make decisions and most companies simply don't want outsiders telling them how to run their business.

You only asked the question in the title of the thread, Ben. So I'll ask it here:

Why can't we invest in privately owned Space Companies?

The answer is the same reason you can't invest in Cargill, LEGO, Jaguar, Chrysler, Mars (candy bar company), Toys "R" Us, ...: The stock is privately held. There is no stock for you, or anyone else, to buy. Stockholders do bring money, sometimes a lot of it, but that money comes with a price. Annual stockholder meetings, greater scrutiny from the government, hostile takeovers, the list goes on. Some companies just don't want the grief that comes with the infusion of cash.

Start your own company.

Buy a water heater, stick a dog in it, and attach a stable propulsion mechanism to it.

Fire it into space -> ? -> profit!

You can invest in a company that doesn't issue stock, but you'd probably need to be involved in an angel or venture capital firm, or be a bank. Closely-held firms might issue bonds, also, but it might be difficult to find them listed anywhere for auction or purchase unless you're a preferred customer of the original underwriter and knew about them at the time of issue. Heck, even David Bowie issued bonds a few years ago, but I'm not sure who owns them or how you'd purchase them yourself. Enterprises that are as capital-intensive as space exploration are definitely not funded entirely by founder equity.

D.H.,
Oh, yeah, I forgot to post the question in the 'Message'.

Thanks to all of you for the input.

I looked at some of the companies in the List of private spaceflight companies

I've noticed so far that an Abu Dhabi (U.A.E.) investment company took 32% stakes in Virgin Group’s Virgin Galactic commercial space plane venture.

http://www.spacenews.com/venture_space/abu-dhabi-company-invest-virgin-galactic.html I've tweeted Tim Harford and asked him,"these private companies don't issue stocks to the general public. Why's that?" ... and his answer was: "I think the simple answer is they don't have to if they don't want to."

(Tim Harford is the author of The Undercover Economist; and is a Financial Times columnist)
Related topic :

Four Companies to Watch in the Brave New Commercial Space Mission Era

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why can't we invest in privately owned Space Companies?

There are a few reasons why individuals cannot currently invest in privately owned space companies. One of the main reasons is that these companies are not publicly traded on the stock market. This means they are not required to disclose financial information or allow outside investors to purchase shares.

2. Will this change in the future?

It is possible that in the future, privately owned space companies may become publicly traded and allow for investment opportunities. However, this is ultimately up to the individual companies and their decisions on when and if they want to go public.

3. Can I invest in space companies through other means?

Currently, there are a few ways to indirectly invest in space companies. Some mutual funds and ETFs may have holdings in space-related companies. Additionally, there are crowdfunding platforms that allow individuals to invest in private companies, but these opportunities may be limited.

4. What are the risks of investing in space companies?

As with any investment, there are risks involved when investing in space companies. These risks can include technological challenges, regulatory hurdles, and market competition. Additionally, space companies may have longer timelines for returns on investment compared to other industries.

5. Are there any alternatives to investing in space companies?

If you are interested in supporting the growth and development of the private space industry, there are other ways to get involved besides investing. You can support these companies through purchasing their products or services, advocating for government funding and policies that support the industry, or even considering a career in the space sector.