Why did Maine's gay marriage vote increase so much between 2009 and 2012?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter trueo
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
trueo
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/...d-popular-vote-maine-062623169--election.html

..."It's hard to overstate the national significance of this vote," Mark Solomon, the national campaign director of Freedom to Marry, which supports gay marriage, said in a statement about the Maine initiative. "For years, our opponents have argued that we could not win a majority vote at the ballot. Today, Maine voters proved them wrong, standing up for the Golden Rule and for freedom for all Mainers."

Maine and Maryland join six other states—Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Iowa, Vermont, New York and Connecticut—and the District of Columbia to allow gay marriage.

Tuesday's election was the first time gay marriage was on the ballot since President Barack Obama became the first sitting president to declare his support for it in May. It also marked another milestone for gay rights advocates: Wisconsin Democrat Rep. Tammy Baldwin became the first openly gay candidate elected to the U.S. Senate...

I doubt the more American men are becoming gay... How could the vote numbers go up so quickly ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Because more non-gay people are realizing that gay people should have equal rights?
 
Ben Niehoff said:
Because more non-gay people are realizing that gay people should have equal rights?

Oh what a neat and smart protective reply! :biggrin:
 
I think with the majority of American's supporting gay marriage, that's one reason Romney wasn't elected; he's against it.
That mentality is not the future, and I'm proud of America for not letting someone like that into office.

More people aren't gay, but I think more people admit to being gay, since more people are accepting of it. We're heading in the right direction.
 
I think more people are admitting it. Also, more people realize that by not recognizing a gay couple as being married does not prevent them from being gay. Hard to believe it has taken this long. I have a first cousin who is gay and his parents have had a really hard time with it. I cannot say I have ever had a chance to tell them this but my feeling is that he cannot be straight any easier than I or any other straight person can be gay. It still gross's me out out to see two guys kiss, but it grossed me out to see my parents kiss when I was a little kid too. LOL
 
trueo said:
Ben Niehoff said:
trueo said:
I doubt the more American men are becoming gay... How could the vote numbers go up so quickly ?
Because more non-gay people are realizing that gay people should have equal rights?
Oh what a neat and smart protective reply! :biggrin:
How about this perhaps. Maybe more Americans are realizing that it's not cool to be a bigoted jackass.
 
Last edited:
Ben Niehoff said:
Because more non-gay people are realizing that gay people should have equal rights?
and are not a threat.

collinsmark said:
How about this perhaps. Maybe more Americans are realizing that it's not cool to be a bigoted jackass.
More or less. The majority, and particularly, the younger generations are voting with their consciences, they can see through the hypocrisy/bs, and they are not afraid to what is right.