Why do I consistently receive low marks in basic science quizzes?

• Studying
  • Thread starter DifferentialGalois
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Marks Science
In summary, a twelve year old is struggling in school and does not understand why. He has low marks in biology quizzes and wants to boost his score. He has doubts about whether he has the intelligence to pursue a career in theoretical physics. He is doubtful about whether six months of studying integral calculus, conceptual basics of quantum mechanics, appreciation for the theoretical physics community, and effort to become better at mathematical thinking will help him. He is considering whether he should focus on becoming better at one specific quality or practice many different qualities.
DifferentialGalois said:
... if I can't attain a high distinction or even a distinction for science,...

Ok. I've read enough. This is just another case of "my life is over if I don't get a perfect score in physics, how am I going to be a professor and win the Nobel Prize by age 30...". We've seen these threads numerous times over the years here.

I suspect that your problem is that you don't take tests well. First of all, slowwwwww dowwwwwn and do the problems correctly in a methodical fashion and then go on. Most likely you are trying to get all 25 of the problems done in as fast a time as possible when you are sitting taking the test. The last course I sat in on was fluid dynamics. I did about 3/4 of the problems on the final exam, still good enough for an A. Sure, it was a graduate course, but I didn't make one mistake on any problem I finished during the exam period. I looked at a problem, if I couldn't start it right away, I skipped it and went on. That is the way to take a test. If I skipped a problem, chances are I went back to it a couple of problems later because subconcuiously I solved it while working on another problem.

Likes Klystron, Adesh, gleem and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Dr Transport said:
Ok. I've read enough. This is just another case of "my life is over if I don't get a perfect score in physics, how am I going to be a professor and win the Nobel Prize by age 30...". We've seen these threads numerous times over the years here.

I suspect that your problem is that you don't take tests well. First of all, slowwwwww dowwwwwn and do the problems correctly in a methodical fashion and then go on. Most likely you are trying to get all 25 of the problems done in as fast a time as possible when you are sitting taking the test. The last course I sat in on was fluid dynamics. I did about 3/4 of the problems on the final exam, still good enough for an A. Sure, it was a graduate course, but I didn't make one mistake on any problem I finished during the exam period. I looked at a problem, if I couldn't start it right away, I skipped it and went on. That is the way to take a test. If I skipped a problem, chances are I went back to it a couple of problems later because subconcuiously I solved it while working on another problem.

Ok. I can never seem to call in my subconscious upon solving a problem (which for the focus of this thread, is when I need it). I’ve heard of priming the subconscious, or in other words, enhancing the process in guiding my brain along. I don’t know though if this can be achieved in any ways other than making notes, charts, etc. or conducting thorough research on the subject of what could possibly appear on the test. To be frank, these aha moments in the subconscious will need heavy patience and dedication, for which I’d rather directly help my conscious mode of thinking. But I really don’t know.

And on an additional note, attaining a high distinction in a given course and achieving a Nobel Prize, PhD, whatever are two very distinct goals. One, the difficulty varies enormously, and two, a HD typically requires a bit of dedication and hard work, whereas something like a Nobel Prize requires the sharpest mind in a sphere of influence - an enormous feat of dedication and patience. If I could obtain a Nobel Prize (the chances are astronomical, probably on the scale of something like 10^-100), I’m sure I wouldn’t be fretting about something like a missed HD in science for Year 7 or 8. The morals and skill sets are vastly different. I’ve digressed from the point, but yeah, I don’t think my aspiration to acquire a HD is highly impractical.

I think my best shot would simply to revise the course material to its bare bones, yet ensuring that I don’t bogged down in unnecessary detail. And maybe augment productivity by actually learning, rather than spending copious time on these forums. ;)

DifferentialGalois said:
maybe augment productivity by actually learning, rather than spending copious time on these forums. ;)
/thread

undefined314 said:
/thread

I’m not accustomed to these forums’ terminology, but I presume /thread marks the end of a thread?

DifferentialGalois said:
And maybe augment productivity by actually learning, rather than spending copious time on these forums. ;)
Don’t get discouraged by things said here (may be hurting for you), try to ignore those things which makes you discouraged, they are part of life you cannot get rid of them. Spend time on these sub-forums and feel what it’s like when people don’t agree with you (it’s not a matter whether you’re right or wrong :-) they don’t agree just for the sake of not agreeing).

You know of this prayer:
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and wisdom to know the difference.

Likes Phys12, Delta2 and DifferentialGalois
We have provided you with some good ideas to consider. However, there is one more thing that has yet to be discussed and that is your age and level of maturity. You seem to be somewhat precocious in some of your statements but then again showing a lack of maturity that those statements would presuppose. You are over-analyzing yourself and undermining your confidence. Confidence is so important in one's success. You are at an age when things start to go wacky for a while. You may need the personal guidance of a mentor who can work with you for an extended time. A forum like this may not be the best way to solve your problems since you must take the advice to heart and act on it. A mentor can evaluate your remedial work provide guidance, encouragement, hold you accountable for effort, and help build the confidence that you will need to succeed.

Have you tried any of the recommendations that have been made so far? Keep in mind that they will take significant effort and time to show results. Like the journey of a thousand miles, you complete it by taking one step at a time.

Likes DifferentialGalois, Phys12 and Adesh
gleem said:
We have provided you with some good ideas to consider. However, there is one more thing that has yet to be discussed and that is your age and level of maturity. You seem to be somewhat precocious in some of your statements but then again showing a lack of maturity that those statements would presuppose. You are over-analyzing yourself and undermining your confidence. Confidence is so important in one's success. You are at an age when things start to go wacky for a while. You may need the personal guidance of a mentor who can work with you for an extended time. A forum like this may not be the best way to solve your problems since you must take the advice to heart and act on it. A mentor can evaluate your remedial work provide guidance, encouragement, hold you accountable for effort, and help build the confidence that you will need to succeed.

Have you tried any of the recommendations that have been made so far? Keep in mind that they will take significant effort and time to show results. Like the journey of a thousand miles, you complete it by taking one step at a time.

Yes, I have discussed the matter with my relatives, and they state my main issue may be test anxiety. Looking back on some of my results, I realize that quite some marks were lost due to sheer ignorance coupled with test anxiety. I will have to practise some meditation, or alternatively, familiarise myself with test format and content extensively.

DifferentialGalois said:
I will steer clear away from my interest in non classical physics, because it's scarcely improving my science knowledge.
This is a good idea. If you don't understand basic (i.e., Newtonian) physics, then it makes no sense to delve into modern physics.
DifferentialGalois said:
If I were to make a judgement myself, I would venture to say my poor grades are caused by a lack of interest in studying the topics at school in depth, and perhaps anxiety to perform.
With possibly the anxiety arising from the lack of in-depth study.
Vanadium 50 said:
In the US we would call it "Junior High".
Indeed. At least in the U.S., "high school" started in either 9th or 10th grade, with the classes labeled as freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior.
DifferentialGalois said:
Looking back on some of my results, I realize that quite some marks were lost due to sheer ignorance coupled with test anxiety.
Again, if you don't understand the material, it's no wonder you're becoming anxious during a text on it.

• Informative
Likes Klystron and symbolipoint
DifferentialGalois said:
I can never seem to call in my subconscious upon solving a problem

You don't call on your subconscious to solve a problem, it comes to you out of the blue, not because you command it. Have you ever gone to bed of off to do something else and the solution to a homework problem just comes to you, that is your subconscious at work.

Likes Klystron and symbolipoint
Dr Transport said:
You don't call on your subconscious to solve a problem, it comes to you out of the blue, not because you command it. Have you ever gone to bed of off to do something else and the solution to a homework problem just comes to you, that is your subconscious at work.

And if the subconscious doesn't naturally come to you, then what? I've seldom experienced times where my subconscious thought kicks in during a test, and I think, instead of trying to cultivate these 'out of the blue' insights, I might try work on my conscious thought (which what, constitutes 90 percent of thought, right?)

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
This is a good idea. If you don't understand basic (i.e., Newtonian) physics, then it makes no sense to delve into modern physics.
Indeed. At least in the U.S., "high school" started in either 9th or 10th grade, with the classes labeled as freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior.
Again, if you don't understand the material, it's no wonder you're becoming anxious during a text on it.

Physics isn't my issue, it's chemistry and biology that is tripping me up in these tests. And the ages considered to be high school will vary from nation to nation. I know a lot of members here come from the US, and as a result, would benefit from reference to junior high. In NSW, Australia, there is no such "junior high" as you know it.

Mark44 said:

And if I do comprehend the material? Test anxiety doesn't solely come from lack of knowledge of the subject. I'm certain that all of you accomplished physics, math and what not students have undertaken innumerable tests throughout your life. And in not one of them, test anxiety was experienced?

Dr Transport said:
Adesh said:
Can you let us know what do you want to achieve for this academic session? Do you want/desire good marks in your tests or do you want to become a physicist this year? You shouldn’t crave for the latter.

Why in my right mind would I crave for the latter? And have I ever implied that my desire was to become a physicist this year? My primary goal for achievement is simply to improve my ability in science, and currently, my best gauge of that would be the grading system at school. I can't make self judgement, because it's rooted in lots of psychological conundrums, as some of you have mentioned. The grading system we currently have at school is as follows:
High Distinction: Top 20% of cohort
Distinction: Next 30% of cohort (so cumulatively HD+D would constitute top 50%)
Credit: Next 30% of cohort
Pass with Merit: Next 10-15%
Pass: Next 5-10%

Right now, I'm achieving a credit, between the top 50 and 80 percent of the cohort. I mentioned that I attended an academically selective school, and I am approximately one year younger than much of my cohort. In that respect, the result is not terrible. But my key goal is to at least secure a distinction, so it can be made evident that I have made progress in the study of science. AFAIK, there currently seems to be no better way to demonstrate my improvement in science.

@DifferentialGalois I do not want to seem condescending but this conversation should be not only with you but also with a responsible adult. You are only 12 yrs. old. Sorry, you need an adult someone to oversee the solution to your problems. Have you been sharing this conversation with your parents? We should hear something from them or at least an adult you choose and whom you respect and trust.

DifferentialGalois said:
And if the subconscious doesn't naturally come to you, then what? I've seldom experienced times where my subconscious thought kicks in during a test, and I think, instead of trying to cultivate these 'out of the blue' insights, I might try work on my conscious thought (which what, constitutes 90 percent of thought, right?)
Basically the right idea. You do NOT force your subconscious. It is not in your control. If your subconscious mind is not or seems not too active for you now, this may change. When that occurs, you will know it. Even then, or later, you will not command your subconscious mind. It will kick at your conscious mind without your doing anything. Note, from my own experience with this, a great amount of study and review and lengthy effort at the conscious level IS STILL necessary, or else your subconscious mind will not have enough organized to kick at your conscious mind.

Likes Dr Transport and DifferentialGalois
DifferentialGalois said:
And if I do comprehend the material? Test anxiety doesn't solely come from lack of knowledge of the subject.
Which contradicts what you said earlier, here...
DifferentialGalois said:
If I were to make a judgement myself, I would venture to say my poor grades are caused by a lack of interest in studying the topics at school in depth, and perhaps anxiety to perform.
I would bet that the larger reason is your lack of interest in the classes you're not doing so well in, namely chemistry and biology. Lack of interest in the subject ##\Rightarrow## lower comprehension of subject ##\Rightarrow## lower grades in subject plus possible anxiety brought on by low interest and lower grades than desired. If you had put in the time studying, despite your disinterest, then maybe I would buy the excuse of test anxiety, but given what you have said, it seems to be just that, and excuse.
DifferentialGalois said:
Physics isn't my issue, it's chemistry and biology that is tripping me up in these tests.

DifferentialGalois said:
I will steer clear away from my interest in non classical physics, because it's scarcely improving my science knowledge.
Well, it's obviously not improving your knowledge of chemistry and biology.

On the brighter side, if it's physics you're really interested in, then less than stellar grades in biology at the eighth grade level, isn't worth all the angst you seem to be going through. But if your goal is to get a grade at or above the 80% level, then focus on those classes, and set aside things that don't matter to that goal.

Likes DifferentialGalois
symbolipoint said:
Basically the right idea. You do NOT force your subconscious. It is not in your control. If your subconscious mind is not or seems not too active for you now, this may change. When that occurs, you will know it. Even then, or later, you will not command your subconscious mind. It will kick at your conscious mind without your doing anything. Note, from my own experience with this, a great amount of study and review and lengthy effort at the conscious level IS STILL necessary, or else your subconscious mind will not have enough organized to kick at your conscious mind.

Ok, thanks.

I give up on all hope to improve in science. I abhor it in all its entity for what was once one of my damn favorite subjects, the passion of my school life. Now I realize how incompetent I am at it, I will resign from all efforts to get better at science. No matter how much effort I expend into the sciences, I am getting NOWHERE. Peace. /thread

DifferentialGalois said:
I give up on all hope to improve in science. I abhor it in all its entity for what was once one of my damn favorite subjects, the passion of my school life. Now I realize how incompetent I am at it, I will resign from all efforts to get better at science. No matter how much effort I expend into the sciences, I am getting NOWHERE. Peace. /thread
Fine. Drop away from it for now. You need more development, and digging into science right now may not work. MAYBE you would return to it later.

vela said:
Below is a link to list of characteristics of successful students and struggling students. I'm curious how you would assess yourself regarding these traits.

https://www.jccmi.edu/center-for-student-success/characteristics-of-successful-students/
DifferentialGalois said:
Looks like I fulfil all the characteristics of a struggling student, which is to be expected.
So you have seen, maybe read, that list of characteristics. As a way of looking for how to use that list in order to change, ask yourself, what do you want to accomplish at the end of the next five or six years? If you cannot answer this well, then you need further experience, maturity, and development. The kind of "development" is not the kind that you can consciously make on your own. You must think and grow, over time. Then, maybe you will know what you want and what to do.

From your apparent resolute disinclination to break your writing into paragraphs, I am guessing that your learning approaches may at times be insufficiently stepwise ##-## you may be trying to comprehend 'too much at a time'.

Can we be a little soft to OP? If you think that he is acting baldy here, then I think the best way is to truncate this thread. I don’t see any need of showing dark practicality and harsh remarks to someone who is already broken down with practicality. Let not a dreamer drown and tortured by his own dreaming mind.

Likes Phys12, Ophiolite and Lnewqban
DifferentialGalois said:
Looks like I fulfil all the characteristics of a struggling student, which is to be expected.
The point is you choose to be one or the other.

Likes symbolipoint and Adesh
DifferentialGalois said:
I give up on all hope to improve in science...
That may be a good thing.
You are learning to understand nature, you either understand or you don't.
Calm down, your failure is not fatal.
Strive to be rather than to become.

Modern life is full of people that became somebody and still live miserable lives.
The universe aligned many things for you to be here for a while and to be creative, productive and kind to others, it is only society what has made you believe that you should become something to be of value.

With time, knowledge and skills that passionately interest you will flow into your mind naturally, will remain in there for life and will be your tools to be creative.
You are a young man and life is vibrating around you, don't ignore it; there is much more out there than academic achievements.
The test of life is the only important one.

Please, read these quotes created by a man who adjusted poorly to the academic expectations of his time; who was immensely curious and intuitive; who accepted his limits and had the courage and persistence of going beyond them, just to deeply understand things and to produce work of tremendous value to humanity.

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/Albert-einstein-quotes

My very best!

:cool:

Likes DifferentialGalois, Phys12 and Adesh
Vanadium 50 said:
Do they give extra points for drama in your school?

No, but they do for science competitions. :/

Likes sysprog
DifferentialGalois said:
No, but they do for science competitions. :/
Should anyone comment on that? DifferentialGalois, that was not what he meant.

I don’t see how it was an overly constructive post.

Well, to be frank, I don’t perform badly at science competitions - HD and D respectively at the ANCQ (Australian National Chemistry Quiz) and ICAS Science Comp. Yet, in schoolwork, my grades imply my understanding and application of knowledge are really lacking in science. Maybe I only do better in science comps because they’re ranked relative to the whole of NSW or Australia?

Upon reading my above post, you will obviously come to the consideration that a credit is not much less than the grades I’ve received in these comps. The grading system in our school ascertains that those who are between the top 50 and bottom 20 percent of the cohort attain a credit in that respective subject. A HD and D, as I’ve mentioned before, constitute the top 20 and 50 percent respectively. Whereas in these comps, a HD is top one percent and D is top 1-10 percent of all students who partake in the test.

gleem said:

If I displayed some, if any level of precocity, I wouldn’t have to be stressing about my academic achievement in science.

I've been trying to abstain from commenting because it's probably not my place, but here we go anyway. Like some others have said, I'm concerned that there is a general lack of action on your part to try and remedy the situation you have presented, and you seem to be more interested in venting than making changes.

What concrete things can you do this week, or this month, to improve? Could it be picking up a textbook pitched at the level of your schoolwork, and working through a certain number of problems at the end of each chapter to determine exactly what your weaker areas are? Maybe you would like some guidance on useful online resources or textbooks? Maybe there are certain topics that you know you don't fully understand, and you could benefit from asking a few specific questions about them somewhere on this website?

Exam anxiety is best countered by putting pen to paper and doing problems. I think you'd be better off actioning some of the advice given to you above, or otherwise being a little more specific in what advice you're actually after. Because this thread has been going in circles for about 70 posts now, and it doesn't seem like we're getting anywhere...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes sysprog, symbolipoint, berkeman and 3 others