Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do I plot certain Raman against the wavenumber

1. May 12, 2015 #1
    I am currently writing my Bachelorthesis about Raman spectroscopy. For measurement with a 785 nm Laser I plot the Intensity against the Raman shift. But for measurements involving a 532 nm, I had so select the program (Spectrasuite) so display them against the "normal" wavenumber. Why is that?

Thank you all in advance, really desperate here.

Bonus question: Why do I measure a certain amount ( in my case 13) of spectra?

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Wavevenumber is proportional to energy, so it is more natural to measure spectra in wavenumber instead of wavelength. Theory gives the energy levels and and absorption/emission is proportional to the difference of the energies between the levels the transition occurs.

It is usual to measure something (the spectrum for example) several times, and average. The random errors, the noise of the spectrum diminishes this way.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook