Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do professors have to teach?

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    I've always wondered about this. Do professors actually get paid for doing research or teaching?

Is teaching actually a side job for them?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This is highly varying from country to country, from institution to institution and relative to areas of research.

But, generally, I think that the percentage of time a professor should teach is a negotiable factor in the hiring process, dependent on the needs of the institution for instructors and expectation of the candidate's ability to generate top-notch research.

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    What if they hate mornings? Can they actually refuse to teach a morning class? My 1st yr chem professor complained about her morning everyday...I suppose not?

5. Aug 15, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I suppose they can always reschedule the class...

6. Aug 15, 2011 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Depends on the institution. At the small college where I teach, classroom teaching is the main job for all professors, and research is a sideline. It's an important sideline, but mainly as a way to provide research opportunities for students.

In most departments here, the department chairman (or someone delegated by him) draws up a preliminary class schedule, and then the other department members can suggest changes, trade classes or rooms, etc. In my department, everybody gets a more or less satisfactory schedule most of the time.

7. Aug 15, 2011 #6

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The answer to this is the same as in every other profession: tough ****

8. Aug 15, 2011 #7
    At my university, it seems like the more senior professors get some say in when they teach, while the junior professors get stuck with whatever is left.

9. Aug 15, 2011 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They get paid for attracting students (and tuition money) and for attracting research grants. Just attending school on the same campus as a famous researcher is worth something prestige-wise, but most want some actual exposure to the more famous professors before they'll actually fork out significantly higher tuition.

(Most students would be better off going to a cheaper school that actually focuses on teaching for their bachelor's degree and then go to the school with the best professors/researchers for their graduate degrees - if the undergraduate degree itself wasn't often part of the criteria for accepted into graduate school.)

10. Aug 15, 2011 #9

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

As always, PhDComics has some insight:
    phd082508s.gif

11. Aug 15, 2011 #10
    I never taught college. What I taught we had to be ready to teach at any time, in addition to scheduled classes, and without complaint. People's lives depended on it.

I wonder if the prof who complained about her morning class ever had to factor that one in.

12. Aug 15, 2011 #11
    "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach."

(I've taught students from nursery school to college level.)

13. Aug 16, 2011 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Who doesn't hate mornings? If I had my way, liking mornings would result in psychiatric examination before being allowed to work.

Oh and liking morning would immediately make you fail the test.

14. Aug 16, 2011 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Mondays are even worse, flappers.

15. Aug 16, 2011 #14

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like mornings. Typically, I go to bed around 11 pm and get up around 6 or 6:30 am, even on weekends. I once taught a course that had classes that started at 8 am. (Not scheduled by me.)

16. Aug 16, 2011 #15
    Wow 6:00am! You are like my grandmother!

17. Aug 16, 2011 #16

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I love mornings!

And I love sharing the joy of mornings with others! Anyone staying in my house wakes up to the sound of my electric coffee grinder at 5:00 AM in the morning. And the neighbors wake up to the sound of my dogs growling and barking at the neighbor's dogs through the holes in our fence. Everyone knows I love mornings!

And the best things is other morning people don't mind the noise I make in the morning. And as far as all the night people go - they're too groggy in the morning to shoot anyone, anyway.

18. Aug 16, 2011 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm kind of wondering where this question came from. It would be pretty hard to have a university or college without classes and students, so why is it surprising that someone would have to teach those classes of students?

19. Aug 16, 2011 #18
    As quoted from A Beautiful Mind: "Come on, you know the drill. You get these beautiful facilities and MIT gets America’s great minds of today teaching America’s great minds of tomorrow."

20. Aug 17, 2011 #19
    Can u actually get fired if you don't teach? can a professor even get fired?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook