1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do proton and neutron form isospin doublet? I3 or I?

1. May 5, 2015 #1
    As far as I understand, ##I_{3}##, the component of isospin in a certain direction is additive,

but ##I## is to be treated as a vector sum, is this correct?

So, ##I_{3}=1/2## for ##u## quark,
    ##I_{3}=-1/2 ## for ##d## quark.

Adding ##I_{3}## then for a proton we find ##I_{3}=1/2##
    and for a neutron ##I_{3}=-1/2##

Is it from this that we conclude both the proton and neutron form a isospin doublet with ##I=1/2##?

What is the formulae for ##I##? I read somewhere that ##I## is greater than or equal to ##I_{3}##,
    So is ##I= |I_{3}| + |I_{2}| + |I_{1}|## ? But if this is the reasoning for the doublet, what about ##I_{2}, I_{1}##?

On instead should the approach be a vector sum of the isospin of the quarks. So both the down and up quarks have ##I=1/2##,

So doing a vector sum of the three quarks gives the three possible values: ##3/2,1/2,1/2##,

So why then, for the doublet would you take the ##1/2## and not ##3/2##. Is there an observation side to this?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2015 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, this only tells us that they are either a part of the 3/2 isospin quadruplet or of the isospin 1/2 doublet.

The mathematics of isospin are equivalent to that of spin, as both are based on an SU(2) symmetry.

The correct thing to say here is that the u and d quark together form an isospin doublet, i.e., I = 1/2, where I3(u) = +1/2 and I3(d) = -1/2, much in the same way that a spin 1/2 particle can be in a spin up or spin down state.

It is not a matter of "taking". Both the quadruplet and doublet states exist. The quadruplet isospin state is fully symmetric, which means you need to anti-symmetrise your state in some other way (the quarks are fermions after all), ultimately leading to a larger mass for the quadruplet. (The quadruplet are the ##\Delta(1232)## resonances.)

4. May 6, 2015 #3

Sorry could you expand here more? So once ##I_{2}, I_{3}## are taken into account?

The definition of a doublet, quadruplet etc. is particles with the same ##I## but different ##I_{3}##, is this correct?

I know that ##S=S_{1}+S_{2}+S_{3}##, this is in operator form. But I can't think how this explains the statement that if ##S_{3} =1## , ##S## is greater than or equal to ##1##.

So the up and down quark form a doublet, whereas a proton and neutron can form either a ##I=1/2## doublet or are part of the ##3/2## quadruplet?

5. May 6, 2015 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The isospin multiplets are collections of ##2I+1## particles, one for each of the ##2I+1## possible third component values.

This is not true. What is true is ##S^2 = S_1^2+S_2^2+S_3^2##. S is the total spin, not the sum of the components in each direction. Alternatively, you need to write it as a vector.

The representation ##\ell## of SU(2) is a ##2\ell+1##-plet. The maximal value of the third component is ##m = \ell##, which means that if the representation contains a state with third component m, then ##\ell \geq m##.

No, the proton and neutron are the two states of a doublet. The quadruplet made out of three up-down doublets are the delta resonances. These are different particles.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted