Why do rednecks love chainsaws and woodlots?

• Thread starter turbo
  • Start date
In summary: I'm that redneck).In summary, this county is full of rednecks who love their cars and own more than four vehicles that don't work.
Too cool! Where are the engines hanging from chainfalls in trees or is that a US redneck thing? My neighbors and I share a lot of stuff. I have a neighbor with heavy trucks and a headboard loader, another neighbor with a backhoe and a couple of tractors set up as front-end loaders, etc. They are not shy about dropping into see if I have screw extractors, vacuum pumps, etc, or to borrow my low-profile high-capacity hydraulic lift, and I am not shy about asking them to borrow an engine lift, or asking them to cut some metal for me or weld up a bumper or trailer hitch. It all evens out. I'm going to buy some channel-iron and some angle-iron soon, and one of the neighbors will build a new bumper for my old Nissan pickup. He'll feel pretty good when I take him a few bags of Sugarsnax carrots this fall, and take him fishing in my old WT Grant boat with rebuilt (someday, I promise) Evinrude. We get along.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't let the government find out about neighborly behavior, lest they try to tax it as "commerce". It's not barter, because there is no tit-for-tat. Instead, when somebody has done something nice for me, I feel honor-bound to "get back" at them and do something nicer for them, and they reciprocate. Being a redneck in a tiny town isn't all that bad.

turbo-1 said:
Too cool! Where are the engines hanging from chainfalls in trees or is that a US redneck thing? My neighbors and I share a lot of stuff. I have a neighbor with heavy trucks and a headboard loader, another neighbor with a backhoe and a couple of tractors set up as front-end loaders, etc. They are not shy about dropping into see if I have screw extractors, vacuum pumps, etc, or to borrow my low-profile high-capacity hydraulic lift, and I am not shy about asking them to borrow an engine lift, or asking them to cut some metal for me or weld up a bumper or trailer hitch. It all evens out. I'm going to buy some channel-iron and some angle-iron soon, and one of the neighbors will build a new bumper for my old Nissan pickup. He'll feel pretty good when I take him a few bags of Sugarsnax carrots this fall, and take him fishing in my old WT Grant boat with rebuilt (someday, I promise) Evinrude. We get along.

I had this on a shelf nearby:

screw.jpg

Borek, I love those! They're so weird! And there was even one with a blue tarp...:smile:!

That's a KILLER! I have a lot of extractors but none beefy like that rascal. Years, ago, I had a a bolt in a motorcycle engine that I could not extract and when I went to the auto-supply place, they had no extractors of the size that that would have been useful. The counter-guy was WAY less than helpful, so I asked him where the taps were, and he waved toward a wall. I found a left-hand tap just the right size. I cut off the bolt-head, drilled the shaft, and when I bottomed the tap, the shaft backed right out.

redneck fine dining..

http://yourscene.latimes.com/PHOTOS/LATM/1UserPhotos/299409E.jpg

Who made that chili?

Last edited by a moderator:
lisab said:
Borek, I love those! They're so weird! And there was even one with a blue tarp...:smile:!

He did more, these were only first trials.

IMG_9036.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

IMG_9039.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9651.jpg

IMG_9652.jpg

IMG_9653.jpg

Borek said:
Oops, sorry. I am logged forever and I was not aware that this part of the forum is not visible to everybody :(

IMG_8949.jpg

Honestly, no idea why. Gotta talk to owner.

This one is great. Rusted out bodies are hard to do and the first diarama definitely didn't do it justice - no rust on the chrome, etc; just mud and bird dung. Body damage is also hard to do. The minor touches he missed were the coat hanger antenna (which is easy to make out of wire) and the tires on the tarp have too much tread. At least one cracked window (drawn with a strand of glue) would have been a good touch, as well.

turbo-1 said:
To be fair, I might be a redneck. (Foxworthy alert) I have my own chain-saw and woodlot and have cut many, many dozens of cords of firewood, but since losing some balance and coordination to a stroke a number of years ago, I am less enthused about working on uneven ground with a screaming chain-saw. I used to be nimble enough to get out of the way quickly if a tree hung up and kicked off the stump. Not so sure now.

Edit:
I separated this from the natural gas thread.

Integral

Do you fry Raccoons and BBQ Squirrels?

vincentm said:
Do you fry Raccoons and BBQ Squirrels?
I prefer ribs and hot dogs.:-p

B. Elliott said:
Take some pictures of them! If the scenery and lighting is just right, old junkers can make for some nice pictures.

Also, my grandfather has the very second Saab which was shipped to the US (model 93) in 1956, but the car has since deteriorated due to being left out in the weather all these years. I made sure to grab the horn button off of it which has the airplane symbol from when they made aircraft. He opened up one of the first Saab dealerships in the US here in Chattanooga. He also worked on VWs and Porsches out of the same shop.

Ha ha, my dad is the biggest Saab nut ever...

Turbo-1, you might want to listen to this song: - if you like it, you ARE a Redneck !

Warning: I liked the song, but I'm no Redneck (possibly White Trash), so the test might give false positives in a few cases.

Oberst Villa said:
Turbo-1, you might want to listen to this song: - if you like it, you ARE a Redneck !

Warning: I liked the song, but I'm no Redneck (possibly White Trash), so the test might give false positives in a few cases.

Everybody loves that song!

Rednex is from Sweden too!

It reminds everyone of that time of when they drank a case of beer.

BobG said:
This one is great. Rusted out bodies are hard to do and the first diarama definitely didn't do it justice - no rust on the chrome, etc; just mud and bird dung. Body damage is also hard to do. The minor touches he missed were the coat hanger antenna (which is easy to make out of wire) and the tires on the tarp have too much tread. At least one cracked window (drawn with a strand of glue) would have been a good touch, as well.

The tires should all be flat too. :biggrin: I still think they're really cool. Something to display near the beer cooler in the garage along with the singing fish, Nascar logos, and neon Budweiser sign. :biggrin:

Hey, while driving through Maine on the 201 there was lots of old cars everywhere. Very empty state!

Definitely a redneck state. :smile:

201 is the main drag, Jason, and you passed within 2.5 miles of my house. If you wandered onto the back roads here in Solon, you could find 4-5 unlicensed junkyards (lots of junkers at peoples' houses) within a couple of miles from here.

turbo-1 said:
That's a KILLER! I have a lot of extractors but none beefy like that rascal. Years, ago, I had a a bolt in a motorcycle engine that I could not extract and when I went to the auto-supply place, they had no extractors of the size that that would have been useful. The counter-guy was WAY less than helpful, so I asked him where the taps were, and he waved toward a wall. I found a left-hand tap just the right size. I cut off the bolt-head, drilled the shaft, and when I bottomed the tap, the shaft backed right out.

it came in with some 'other stuff'---I don't think its ever been used--if you ever need one that big, let me know

along the same line, have you seen that set of three e-z-outs by Craftsman for screws?--they REALLY work well

Moonbear said:
The tires should all be flat too. :biggrin: I still think they're really cool. Something to display near the beer cooler in the garage along with the singing fish, Nascar logos, and neon Budweiser sign. :biggrin:

:smile:

But remember, Borek posted these pics from a Polish site...I don't think they have any of those things in Poland!

Back