Why do wavefunctions sometimes combine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of wavefunctions and their collapse in quantum mechanics. It is unclear what determines when a wavefunction collapses or combines, and some theories, such as the many-world theory and the Copenhagen interpretation, attempt to explain this. Additionally, decoherence is mentioned as a possible explanation for the emergence of a "classical world" from quantum systems. The boundaries of wavefunction collapse and combination are still uncertain and are thought to be based on probabilities.
Jarfi
This is what is bugging me at the moment:

What determines if a particle striking another particle will become a combined wavefunction of probabilities or both of them will collapse, is it probabilistic weather it combines or collapses?

I also heard scientists were able to create an atom on two places, so all the protons and electrons in it had a combined wavefunction acting probabilistically, and even made molecules create a wave of probabilities that interfered with itself in the double slit experiment.

So what determines when a many particle system either collapses or does not? is it based on the more particles/mass the more likely it is to collapse?

Like in the schrödningers cat, the cat was also a part of the wave function, and was in all states until it was determined, So they came up with many world theory and such, seems like ********.

I'm pretty confused, about what can tell when a wavefunction collapses and why we need the many world theory. Also the köbenhagen interpertation also seems odd becuase it states something like every wave function combines to create a probabilistic many state system.

I've heard it's a fuzzy thing but I can't seem to find the boundraries where wavefunctions start collapsing and stop combining with each other, is it all based on probabilities?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jarfi said:
This is what is bugging me at the moment:

What determines if a particle striking another particle will become a combined wavefunction of probabilities or both of them will collapse, is it probabilistic weather it combines or collapses?

I also heard scientists were able to create an atom on two places, so all the protons and electrons in it had a combined wavefunction acting probabilistically, and even made molecules create a wave of probabilities that interfered with itself in the double slit experiment.

So what determines when a many particle system either collapses or does not? is it based on the more particles/mass the more likely it is to collapse?

Like in the schrödningers cat, the cat was also a part of the wave function, and was in all states until it was determined, So they came up with many world theory and such, seems like ********.

I'm pretty confused, about what can tell when a wavefunction collapses and why we need the many world theory. Also the köbenhagen interpertation also seems odd becuase it states something like every wave function combines to create a probabilistic many state system.

I've heard it's a fuzzy thing but I can't seem to find the boundraries where wavefunctions start collapsing and stop combining with each other, is it all based on probabilities?

They simply couple to each other, interfere. Anyway, a particle collapses it's wave function when there is a disturbance on that wave function. This is a ''measurement'', and it is simply the observation of particles onto other particles, a name which goes by decoherence. Particles never exactly fully hit on each other neither, the fields around the particles effects the presence of other particles which is an interesting fact for some to consider. Particle like electrons never directly hit off each other, either the field they produce effects particles surrounding them or we are talking about a wave function which is interfering with the wave function of other particles.

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical description of a quantum system, often represented by the Greek letter psi (ψ). It contains information about the location, momentum, and energy of a particle, and can be used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in a certain state.

2. How do wavefunctions combine?

Wavefunctions combine through a process called superposition, where the amplitudes of two or more wavefunctions are added together to create a new wavefunction. This allows for the representation of complex quantum systems with multiple particles.

3. Why do wavefunctions sometimes combine?

Wavefunctions combine because particles in quantum systems behave as both waves and particles. This means that multiple wavefunctions can interact and overlap, leading to the phenomenon of superposition and the combination of wavefunctions.

4. What is the significance of wavefunction combinations?

The combination of wavefunctions allows for the prediction of the behavior and properties of quantum systems. By combining wavefunctions, scientists can determine the probabilities of different outcomes and make predictions about the behavior of particles in a system.

5. Can wavefunction combinations be observed?

No, wavefunction combinations cannot be directly observed. The wavefunction itself is a mathematical construct, and the combination of wavefunctions is a theoretical concept used to understand and predict the behavior of particles in quantum systems.