How to get the wavefunction of a single particle in QFT?

In summary, the fields in QFT are operator fields. The ground state is called the vacuum state and is devoid of particles (appart from virtual particles with short lifetimes due to the time/energy HUP), unlike in QM where states describe at least 1 particle. The operator fields contain creation and annihiliation operators and this can be used to create a particle from the vacuum state. There is no particle interpretation for states that are not asymptotically free states.
DoobleD
TL;DR Summary
In QFT, can I create a single particle wavefunction by doing ##\Psi(x,t)\left|0\right\rangle##?
Hi folks,

I'm trying to get a grasp on some of the basic concepts of QFT. Specifically, I'm trying to picture what are the actual fields of QFT and how they relate to wavefunctions. There are already many helpful posts about those concepts, here and in other places, but some points are fuzzy for me.

So it seems that in QFT:
- the fields are operator fields, and more specifically, quantum oscillator operator fields;
- the ground state is called the "vacuum state" and is devoid of particles (appart from virtual particles with short lifetimes due to the time/energy HUP), unlike in QM where states describe at least 1 particle.

I'm fine with the above. I've also read that the operator fields contain creation and annihiliation operators and this can be used to create a particle from the vacuum state, like so (##\Psi## being my operator field) : ##\Psi(x,t)\left|0\right\rangle##.

My (probably naïve) questions are then:
- is the result of ##\Psi(x,t)\left|0\right\rangle## a wavefunction ##\Phi(x,t)## (ignoring the energy eigenvalue factor) for the newly created single particle localized around the choosed ##x## position?
- is there a wavefunction for the vacuum state? I'd be tempted to say it's ##\Phi(x,t) = 0##, meaning there's a 0 probability of finding a particle anywhere, but then ##\Psi(x,t)\left|0\right\rangle## would be ##0## too.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, wave functions do not make sense in QFT since QFT describes not a situation, where you have a fixed number of particles but you can create and destroy them in interactions, and that's why it's the natural description for collisions at relativistic energies (despite all the much more formal impossibilities of a first-quantization description of interacting relativistic particles).

A true single-particle state is something like
$$|\Phi,t \rangle =\int_{\mathbb{R}^3} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \Phi(\vec{x}) \hat{\psi}^{(+) \dagger}(t,\vec{x})|0 \rangle,$$
where ##\Phi## is some square-integrable function and ##\hat{\psi}^{(+)## is the positive-frequency part in the mode decomposition of free (sic!) fields.

There's no particle interpretation for states that are not asymptotically free states.

A very little known formalism that comes in an analogy way close to a "wave-mechanics formulation" is the wave-functional formalism of QFT, which you can find, e.g., in

B. Hatfield, Quantum Field Theory of Point Particles and Strings, Addison-Wesley, Reading, Massachusetts (1992).

Likes DarMM
Thank you for answering. This is not super clear to me but I'll try to work on it.

1. What is the wavefunction of a single particle in QFT?

The wavefunction of a single particle in Quantum Field Theory (QFT) is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude of finding the particle at a given position and time. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to describe the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

2. How is the wavefunction of a single particle in QFT different from the wavefunction in quantum mechanics?

The wavefunction in QFT is a field operator that describes the quantum state of a particle in terms of its position and momentum. It is a more general and complex concept compared to the wavefunction in traditional quantum mechanics, which only describes the state of a single particle in terms of its position.

3. Can the wavefunction of a single particle in QFT be observed or measured?

No, the wavefunction in QFT is a mathematical construct and cannot be directly observed or measured. However, it can be used to make predictions about the behavior and properties of particles, which can be tested through experiments.

4. How is the wavefunction of a single particle in QFT derived?

The wavefunction in QFT is derived from the principles of quantum mechanics and special relativity. It is based on the concept of a quantum field, which describes the behavior of particles as excitations in a field. The wavefunction is then obtained by applying mathematical operators to this field.

5. What are the implications of the wavefunction of a single particle in QFT?

The wavefunction in QFT has many implications in the field of particle physics. It allows us to understand the behavior and interactions of particles at the subatomic level, and has led to the development of important theories such as the Standard Model. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography.