Why do we want to win video games?

In summary: But at the same time you realize that it's not really about beating the game, its about surviving and beating the challenge. .In summary, people enjoy playing video games for different reasons. Some people enjoy the challenge and want to become better at the game. Others like to have fun and are entertained by playing the game. Still others like to win and feel better about themselves.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I have recently become rather addicted to this one game and I started to think... why do I want to win this game? It's one of these real time strategy games where a game will last about 4 hours to a few days depending on how much I play. At that point I wondered ... why do people take time out of their day to try to accomplish something that really has no meaning? Now thinking about this on a broader scale... why do people really want to accomplish anything like this? Racing against other people on the street, 'winning' arguments with people, getting higher scores on tests or assignments, winning competitions that have no prizes, etc etc.

Give your opinions! The winning opinion wins nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not even my respect... which is worthless anyways.

Physics news on Phys.org
There can be a number of reasons. People like to win at games to make themselves better than other people who play the same games. Or, perhaps some people like to be good at whatever they do. If games provide entertainment, why not become good at it through practice and enjoy the game even more? I know that when I play Madden NFL 2006 on Xbox, I like to be good so I can stay at the gameplay level of my friend so that our games are closer and more exciting. Also, people like to be successful in life. Don't you?

I am just a competitive, cocky, arrogant, mo-fo that needs to win at everything. I guess the key would be to use this to do something positive.

z-component said:
Also, people like to be successful in life. Don't you?

Well what I wonder is how people put tiem into something to be successful when it has no real bearing on life outside of whatever you're doing.

The video gaming industry is pretty important to a lot of people. Even though games don't have a real bearing on life, lots of time is spent on them. So why is that? It's fun and a form of entertainment that stimulates people's craving for competition and the use of their skills.

z-component said:
The video gaming industry is pretty important to a lot of people. Even though games don't have a real bearing on life, lots of time is spent on them. So why is that? It's fun and a form of entertainment that stimulates people's craving for competition and the use of their skills.

I'm starting to notice, however, that some of these games are like golf. 80% of the time you are just frusterated as hell tryen to win the game and its sooooo repetative in the end... ugh :P stupid games!

I don't care if I win, I just hate to lose. or tie. or come in second or third or forth

Pengwuino said:
I have recently become rather addicted to this one game and I started to think... why do I want to win this game? It's one of these real time strategy games where a game will last about 4 hours to a few days depending on how much I play. At that point I wondered ... why do people take time out of their day to try to accomplish something that really has no meaning? Now thinking about this on a broader scale... why do people really want to accomplish anything like this?

Because winning is like better than losing.

...you play to win

Because everyone likes to think they are special. By winning you get to say "I'm better than everyone else." Even if you only say it to yourself.

I play games for the challenge and as something to do. I play pool often and love the feeling when I whoop @$$ on a bunch of people I don't know. Playing for money is even better.

i play TEKKEN to fight virtual fight, and i and my friends used to talk about where we reached, how fast we won and all. my best one is tactical ops it has 2 teams you can be anyone of those, and you are the leader but you can't control them, they fight a suicidal fight and you have to be the last man standing, or complete a task. i play it because i find it entertaining, it is addictive, like pot and there is no point in asking a pot head why s/he likes pot.

Because it makes my feel good... Aw yeah...

To begin with its just for fun, but after you've been shot in the head by the same man and forced to start over 16 times its war :grumpy:

1. Why do humans have the desire to win video games?

The desire to win video games is a natural instinct that stems from our innate competitive nature. As humans, we are wired to constantly seek out challenges and strive for success. Winning a video game provides a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, which triggers the release of dopamine in our brains.

2. How does winning a video game affect our brain?

Winning a video game can have a positive impact on our brain by promoting the release of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with pleasure and motivation. This can lead to improved focus, memory, and overall cognitive functioning.

3. Do video games provide a sense of escapism?

Video games can provide a temporary escape from reality as they allow us to immerse ourselves in a different world and take on a different persona. This can be appealing for individuals who are looking for a break from their everyday lives.

4. Are there any negative effects of constantly wanting to win video games?

While the desire to win video games can be a positive motivator, it can also lead to negative effects such as increased stress, frustration, and even addiction. It is important to maintain a healthy balance and not let the desire to win consume our lives.

5. Can playing video games help improve our problem-solving skills?

Yes, playing video games can improve problem-solving skills as they often require players to think critically and strategically to overcome challenges and obstacles. This can translate to real-life problem-solving abilities and can be especially beneficial for children and teenagers.