Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do physics and game theory meet?

1. Nov 13, 2016 #1
    This is going to sound really strange, but I don't want to have this question inside of me and never ask it. I love business/economics/game theory. However, the subject I've studied the most in my life at this point is physics. The question of what I want to write about for my PhD thesis is coming up and I have no ideas.

Has anyone ever heard about a middle ground between physics and game theory/economics? I know it's a huge stretch, but please be considerate. I'm feel completely lost in life but I'm a firm believer that one should not allow an ego to ruin decision making. Therefore, I want to get a lot of opinions, even if people think the questions I ask are strange.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Sigh. Have you even tried googling for "applications of game theory in physics"?

4. Nov 13, 2016 #3

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

There is a field called econophysics. Established mainstream economists seem to be critical about it, but it may be a starting point for exploration.

5. Nov 13, 2016 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

6. Nov 13, 2016 #5

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I think these are differential games. I looked into the book by Isaacs once, but I do not know how relevant that still it. The OP can easily find more up-to-date references, though.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  7. Nov 13, 2016 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted