Why does a charged capacitor transfer only 70% of its charge to an uncharged one?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jagguy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Capacitor
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
jagguy
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi,

I have 2 capacitors c1, c2

c1=.05 uF
c2=.1 uF

Q=CV

c1 is fully charged and connected to a .4V battery in a parallel circuit
c2 is uncharged

c2 was unconnected initially to c1 but once joined c2 can receive a charge from c1.

charge on C1=2 X 10^-8

what is the % charge transferred from c1 to c2 once joined in the circuit

Homework Equations


Q=CV

The Attempt at a Solution



I thought the answer is 100% but it is 70%.

I don't get it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to make a genuine attempt before help can be given. Show some calculations and describe your thought process.