Why Does a Long-Barrel Cannon Make a Cannonball Travel Faster?

  • Thread starter Thread starter GreatEscapist
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
GreatEscapist
Messages
178
Reaction score
0
We are doing this for our physics class, and they are very basic, easy questions. But it is worth a lot, and might end up being our final. (We're allowed to get help any way possible)

Homework Statement


A cannonball shot from a long-barrel cannon travels faster than one shot from a short-barrel cannon because the cannonball receives greater
a. force
b. impulse
c. both a and b
d. neither a and b


Homework Equations



impulse= Ft

F=ma


The Attempt at a Solution



I think it is just b, instead of c, because I don't think there is a greater force. It doesn't indicate that a greater force is used on the bigger cannon. But the longer barrel gives it more time, therefore a greater impulse, right?

Just having a brain fart. :P And the easier problems get me, because I over-analyze.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
GreatEscapist said:
We are doing this for our physics class, and they are very basic, easy questions. But it is worth a lot, and might end up being our final. (We're allowed to get help any way possible)

Homework Statement


A cannonball shot from a long-barrel cannon travels faster than one shot from a short-barrel cannon because the cannonball receives greater
a. force
b. impulse
c. both a and b
d. neither a and b


Homework Equations



impulse= Ft

F=ma


The Attempt at a Solution



I think it is just b, instead of c, because I don't think there is a greater force. It doesn't indicate that a greater force is used on the bigger cannon. But the longer barrel gives it more time, therefore a greater impulse, right?

Just having a brain fart. :P And the easier problems get me, because I over-analyze.
Yes, you are correct. But I wouldn't say the problem was easy. It requires some conceptual thought, which you have explained well. Essentially, the longer barrel provides more time for the ball to reach greater speed (greater momentum change from the greater impulse) before it leaves the barrel.
 
Given the way the problem is stated (or at least the way I'm interpreting it), I would have to agree with your answer. :approve:

[Edit: PhanthomJay beat me to the punch. I guess it serves me right for procrastinating my replies.]:smile: