Why does force 2 equal 10 N at point C but 416.7 N at point F?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Queren Suriano
Messages
48
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



upload_2015-5-1_22-50-1.png


Actually I have two doubs, the first one is Why in the solution of this problem, in the sumatory of moments in C, Force 2=10?? If in the sumatory of moments in F, Force 2 is 416.7 N. Actually I calculate with 416.7 N, and T in C = 100 N. The other doubt is with the sign of the torsor along the axis CD. Because the action-reaction law, the torsor in the axis will enter in the axis, thus it will NEGATIVE, but the solution takes positive!. Why??
upload_2015-5-1_22-55-32.png


Homework Equations



upload_2015-5-1_22-56-11.png
upload_2015-5-1_22-56-19.png

The Attempt at a Solution


It is in the The problem statement, at the picture
 
Attachments
  • upload_2015-5-1_22-48-39.png
    upload_2015-5-1_22-48-39.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 1,197
  • upload_2015-5-1_22-49-24.png
    upload_2015-5-1_22-49-24.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 772
Physics news on Phys.org
I understood what you meant by "doubt"... :smile:

You are saying that the book's solution shows F2 = 10N? That seems way off...

And as for the direction of the net torque on the center gear, I think you have labeled the direction incorrectly. The force F2 on the bottom of the gear is larger, so the net torque will be towards the back of the apparatus (clockwise as seen from the front)...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Queren Suriano
berkeman said:
I understood what you meant by "doubt"... :smile:

You are saying that the book's solution shows F2 = 10N? That seems way off...

And as for the direction of the net torque on the center gear, I think you have labeled the direction incorrectly. The force F2 on the bottom of the gear is larger, so the net torque will be towards the back of the apparatus (clockwise as seen from the front)...
Thank you