Why does insecticide work on both cockroaches and centipedes?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chirhone
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
chirhone
Messages
300
Reaction score
25
Cockroach and Centipede have different blood and lung systems. How can the same pesticide be effective against both?

My country is under lockdown. I saw a centipede in the restroom. Before I could step on it, it crawled into the gaps in the floor tiles near the wall. I sprayed Insecticide. I was only sure it would work on cockroaches. But why would it work on centipede too? What is the specific target organ, the mitochondrontia?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
There are lots of different pesticides. Many use different mechanisms to kill things.
If you look at the ingredients list on the pesticide's container, you should be able to find the active ingredients.
Google that and find out how it works.
Some invertebrate pesticides work on neurotransmitters which are shared among many invertebrates.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
What is the best pesticide especially made against Centipede? I couldn't find this in google. What ingredients are involved and target organ systems in the Centipede? Anyone else?