Why does K3Fe(C2O4)3 synthesis with H2O2 produce gas?

  • Thread starter Thread starter z89
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Synthesis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 5K views
z89
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Actually this is a part of homework. I've found the answer, but I have some problems.

The lab I did in previous lesson is the preparation of K3Fe(C2O4)3.3H2O from Fe(NH4)2(SO4)2.6H2O

In the first step, Iron(II) ammonium sulphate was reacted with oxalic acid dihydrate to form Iron(II) oxalate precipitate.

In the second step, Iron(II) oxalate was oxidized to potassium trioxalatoferrate(III) K3Fe(C2O4)3 by addition of H2O2 and K2C2O4.

In fact, I found link(s) talking about the lab

http://www.chem.umass.edu/genchem/chem112/112_Experiment_1.htm

but I was a bit doubt about the equation mentioned. I observed that there was bubbles formed/gas evolving in step 2. I believed that this is not oxygen, since Fe2+ is oxidized to Fe3+ in this process, H2O2(O: -1 in ON) cannot be oxidized to O2(O: 0) in the same time.
Therefore, it should be CO2, which was oxidized from oxalate, am I right?

And then, why the equation did not mention the oxidization of oxalate... even the release of gas

of course, this problem didn't affect the calculation process. I am just curious ..
Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I've known iron salts to catalytically decompose hydrogen peroxide into water and oxygen. Was the peroxide present in excess?
 
yes, thanks for your reminder:biggrin:

but, is the reaction between oxalate and H2O2 favourable?