Cursor jumps to front of word on backspace in homework forum

  • Thread starter Thread starter alexdr5398
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
alexdr5398
Messages
31
Reaction score
1
Why does my cursor jump the front of the word when I press backspace?

It happens in the Introductory Homework forum. It's not happening as I type this and doesn't happen on any other site.

It is very annoying, does anyone know a way to fix it?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alexdr5398 said:
Why does my cursor jump the front of the word when I press backspace?

It happens in the Introductory Homework forum. It's not happening as I type this and doesn't happen on any other site.

It is very annoying, does anyone know a way to fix it?
Control-Backspace erases all of the previous word. Any chance your Control key was pressed when this happened? Can you reproduce it? I just ran a test in HH/Intro Physics in a Reply window and had no problem. What OS and Browser are you using? Mobile or Laptop/PC?
 
berkeman said:
Control-Backspace erases all of the previous word. Any chance your Control key was pressed when this happened? Can you reproduce it? I just ran a test in HH/Intro Physics in a Reply window and had no problem. What OS and Browser are you using? Mobile or Laptop/PC?

Control is not being pressed. It's not deleting the whole word, it just deletes one letter then jumps to the start of the word. It doesn't happen in the reply window at the bottom of threads, but it does happen when I press the "Reply" button on specific posts.

I'm on Windows 10, using Chrome Canary, the developer version of chrome, since I was having a lot of trouble with the normal version. I guess it must be chrome doing this then.

Took me a solid 5 minutes to type this response because of this issue.
 
alexdr5398 said:
Took me a solid 5 minutes to type this response because of this issue.
I wondered where the heck you went! :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: alexdr5398
The reply buttons on individual posts just insert text in the reply window.

Writing text in the input box is something your browser takes care of, the forum doesn't influence it. Should be a browser issue.
 
mfb said:
The reply buttons on individual posts just insert text in the reply window.

Writing text in the input box is something your browser takes care of, the forum doesn't influence it. Should be a browser issue.

Okay, I'll try to reinstall the browser then.