Why does my netball go the wrong way?

• Thread starter i-like-maths
  • Start date
In summary, kicking the ball can cause it to curl to the left if you kick with your right foot, but can cause it to curl to the right if you kick with your left foot.
i-like-maths
You know when you kick a football/soccer ball you can make it curl to the left if you kick with your right foot?
I tried doing that with a netball and much to my surprise, it curled to the right.
Does anyone know what has happened?
I did this in low wind conditions.

Physics news on Phys.org
ASFAIK it is not a matter of which foot you use, but what rotation the ball gets.

So when my foot hits the side of the football, it starts spinning anticlockwise and curls in the same direction. Yet when I kick the netball, it spins anticlockwise and curls in the opposite direction. Doesn't make sense.

"Kicking the ball" is far from being a safe condition to make an educated guess.
E.g. whether the kicked ball curls to the right or to the left also depends on which part of the foot you kick it with, i.e. the initial rotation. Another example is a golf ball. Players can play hooks to both sides, independent of whether they are right or left handed.

The curl itself depends on the ball's surface, which isn't smooth. Especially the joints play a crucial role, because they cause tiny turbulences which in return cause differences in air resistance on each side of the ball, which at last causes the curl.

So my favorite explanation is: Without additional information on the starting conditions, it's primary the joints and secondary the surface structure, which are typically both different on a football and a netball. Also think about the fact, that American football "balls" have joints along the direction it is thrown. This also explains, why extra points or long distance kicks aren't as easy as one might think.

so does this apply to soccer balls

Yes, especially there - at least as far as I remember a TV documentation on this subject.
Not that this is a trustful source on a scientific level, however, it provides a reasonable imagination.
I've used football = soccer and American football ≠ football.

1. Why does my netball curve to the side when I throw it?

The curve in your netball's trajectory is caused by the Magnus effect, which occurs when a spinning ball interacts with the air around it. The spin creates a difference in air pressure on either side of the ball, causing it to curve in the direction of the lower pressure.

2. How does the rotation of the ball affect its direction in netball?

The rotation of the ball determines the direction and amount of curve it will have. A ball with backspin will curve downwards, while a ball with topspin will curve upwards. The speed of the rotation also plays a role in the amount of curve.

3. Can the surface of the ball affect its trajectory in netball?

Yes, the surface of the ball can impact its trajectory. A smoother surface will create less friction with the air, resulting in a straighter trajectory. A rougher surface can create more drag, causing the ball to curve more.

4. Why does my netball sometimes go straight and other times curve?

The consistency of your throw, including the speed, angle, and rotation of the ball, can all affect the trajectory. If any of these factors vary, it can result in a different trajectory. Practice and proper technique can help improve consistency.

5. How can I improve my throw to reduce the amount of curve in my netball?

To reduce the curve in your netball, you can try adjusting your grip, arm angle, and release point. Practicing with a consistent technique and analyzing your throws can also help improve your accuracy and reduce the amount of curve.