What objects can I use to improve my ball curving skills?

• Thread starter ste20man
  • Start date
In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to improve their skills in a game with a lightweight football. They want to learn how to curve the ball more than their brother and are considering using something other than their foot. They are asking for suggestions on what objects would be best to use and how to impart the most spin on the ball. They mention a £20 bet riding on this and are hoping for help in achieving their goal.
ste20man
Hi.

I have no experience with physics really and thought I might come here to steal some great ideas hopefully. My and my brother play a game with a fly-away(very very light) football when we are finished work. You've got to fill out the allotted time somehow right? Lol.

He is a much better player than me, always has been, and he has challenged me to 'curve' the ball more than he can. He left it as an open ended challenge so I got to thinking that I could do this with something other than my foot?

I watched him do it and sort of slices across it with as much power as he can. It's a regular sized ball, just very light.

What things should I be using here? Big things, small things? Pointy things / round things? A cricket bat or...I don't know, something else??

Which would connect best and impart the most spin on the ball?

Thanks for your input in advance, there's £20 riding on this so if you can help me out I'd be much obliged! Cheers, Ste.

:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Get a boot with a high-friction surface (like a high-grip rubber). You want to impart the most angular momentum to the ball that you can.

First you got to know that the ball fly deviously is because the speed of flowing air is different on both side of the ball which could produce a kind of force by the different pressure(the pressure around something moving fast is smaller than that around something moving slowly).So the force produced by the pressure difference will make the ball fly deviously.What you should do just try to make the ball twirl.As above,maybe a boot with a high-friction surface will help.

What strategies can I use to win against my brother?

There are many strategies you can use to improve your chances of winning against your brother. Some suggestions include practicing regularly, studying your opponent's moves and patterns, staying calm and focused during the game, and trying to anticipate your brother's next move.

How can I improve my skills to beat my brother?

Improving your skills is key to winning against your brother. Some effective methods include studying game tactics, seeking advice from experienced players, and practicing consistently. You can also try analyzing your previous games to identify your strengths and weaknesses.

What mindset should I have when playing against my brother?

It's important to maintain a positive and confident mindset when playing against your brother. Avoid getting discouraged or frustrated if you make mistakes or if your brother is winning. Stay focused and remember that every game is an opportunity to learn and improve.

What can I do if my brother always wins against me?

If your brother consistently beats you, it's important to stay positive and keep trying. Make sure to learn from your losses and try different strategies. You can also ask your brother for tips or practice with other players to improve your skills.

How can I make our games more fair and competitive?

To make your games more fair and competitive, you can try setting certain rules or handicaps. For example, you can limit your brother's time to make a move or give yourself fewer pieces in a board game. This can make the game more challenging for your brother and give you a better chance to win.