Why does p₁p₂...pₙ+1 not divide by all primes, not just pₙ?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BustedBreaks
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Prime Proof
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
BustedBreaks
Messages
62
Reaction score
0
Let [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex] be primes. Show that [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] is divisible by none of these primes.Let [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex] be primes
Let [tex]k \in N[/tex]
Assume [tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}+1=kp_{n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}}{p_{n}}+\frac{1}{p_{n}}=k[/tex]
[tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n-1}+\frac{1}{p_{n}}=k[/tex]

This is a contradiction because the left side will not be a natural number.

My issue is that this seems to only prove [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] is not divisible by [tex]p_{n}[/tex] and not all [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex].

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
BustedBreaks said:
My issue is that this seems to only prove [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] is not divisible by [tex]p_{n}[/tex] and not all [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex].
That sounds right.

So, can you modify the proof to make it work for, say, p1?

Or, can you find a way to use what this argument proves to prove the general theorem?
 
Hurkyl said:
That sounds right.

So, can you modify the proof to make it work for, say, p1?

Or, can you find a way to use what this argument proves to prove the general theorem?

To make it work for [tex]p_{1}[/tex] I can just use [tex]p_{1}[/tex] instead of [tex]p_{n}[/tex], I guess. I don't know if that helps me see what to do...

I was thinking of writing something like what I had, but instead of [tex]p_{n}[/tex] on the right I would have [tex]p_{x}[/tex] where [tex]x\in{1,2,...,n}[/tex], but that seems weird.
 
BustedBreaks said:
I was thinking of writing something like what I had, but instead of [tex]p_{n}[/tex] on the right I would have [tex]p_{x}[/tex] where [tex]x\in{1,2,...,n}[/tex], but that seems weird.
That sounds perfectly reasonable -- you want to write a proof that works simultaneously for each of the px's, so you have to use a variable.



Incidentally, the other method I was hinting at is substitution. Substitute into the original argument the list of primes
p1, ..., pk-1, pn, pk+1, ..., pn-1, pk​
 
BustedBreaks said:
Let [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex] be primes. Show that [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] is divisible by none of these primes.Let [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex] be primes
Let [tex]k \in N[/tex]
Assume [tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}+1=kp_{n}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}}{p_{n}}+\frac{1}{p_{n}}=k[/tex]
[tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n-1}+\frac{1}{p_{n}}=k[/tex]

This is a contradiction because the left side will not be a natural number.

My issue is that this seems to only prove [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] is not divisible by [tex]p_{n}[/tex] and not all [tex]p_{1}, p_{2},...,p_{n}[/tex].

Thanks!
I guess you are doing the proof of infinite primes.(=

By using euclidean algorithm , you can conclude the gcd of [tex]p_{1}p_{2}...p_{n}+1[/tex] with [tex]p_{i}[/tex] for i=1,2,3...n will be 1 with a sound argument (hint: recall co-prime)

OR,

By using modular , [tex]p_{1} p_{2}...p_{n}+1\equiv1(modp_{i})[/tex] for i=1,2,3...n, recalling 1 is not a prime , you may draw a conclusion that suffices to prove your proposition.
 
Last edited: