Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does Pluto revolve clockwise

1. Sep 18, 2015 #1
    Why the pluto have opposite revolving direction (clockwise) opposite to all other planets of our solar system?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you certain?

4. Sep 18, 2015 #3
    It's more like rotating on it's side. (tilted at close to 90 degrees), as compared with most other planets - which also is the case with Uranus.
    (Venus however does rotate in the opposite direction to most planets.)
    Pluto also orbits well away from the plane of the solar system which the other planets are close to.

It's generally thought that these anomolies result from gravitational interactions and possibly collisions of early planetary bodies before things settled down into the pattern we have today.
    There probably were additional large bodies in the earliest times of the solar system's formation, and a collision of one of these with Earth is the most widely accepted theory of how the Earth acquired a single Moon which is relatively very large compared with other planets which have multiple much smaller moons.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  5. Sep 18, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Pluto probably didn't form the way the planets did (note: Pluto is not a planet any more). It could have been a moon of Neptune once.

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5
    i think that i have studied it in any book

7. Sep 19, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm afraid that the "any" doesn't make sense here, but I think you should look at this book again. What does it say about Venus? About Uranus?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook