Why does power increase by factor of 4 with four D-cells instead of 2?

  • Thread starter Thread starter thisisfudd
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Batteries Power
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
thisisfudd
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Hi,

I have a pretty straightforward problem that I am screwing up on for unknown reasons. Basically, it's about two D-cell 1.5-V babtteries connected in series. The give the current and you calculate the resistance and power -- simple enough. But then they ask by what factor would the power increase if four D-cells were connected (and why this would be dangerous). I have no clue. I figured given the relationship between power and voltage that it would be 2, but they say it's 4.

But P=IV!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
if the resistance unchange, double the voltage will also double the current