Why does |s=1,m=1> equal |++> ?

• Thread starter Ethan0718
  • Start date
In summary, because it is defined that way. You are talking about the total spin angular momentum and its projection for a system consisting of two spin-1/2 particles. Spin-up or "+" denotes a projection of +1/2 and spin-down "-" denotes a projection of -1/2. If you consider the case where both particles are spin-up (i.e. |++>), then the total spin is 1, and the projection m=(1/2)+(1/2)=1. If you consider the case where both are spin-down (i.e. |-->), then the total spin is still 1, but the projection is now m=(-
Ethan0718
Sorry...I know it's a very stupid problem .. =.=

But i just don't know why...

ihttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/imagewyt.jpg/

it's mentioned at p205 of Modern Quantum Mechanics by J.J.Sakurai...=======

sorry... i found i post at wrong place after i received the PM from PF mentor...

please forgive me @@... i won't do this again!..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ethan0718 said:
Sorry...I know it's a very stupid problem .. =.=

But i just don't know why...

ihttp://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/imagewyt.jpg/

it's mentioned at p205 of Modern Quantum Mechanics by J.J.Sakurai...

Because it is defined that way. You are talking about the total spin angular momentum and its projection for a system consisting of two spin-1/2 particles. Spin-up or "+" denotes a projection of +1/2 and spin-down "-" denotes a projection of -1/2. If you consider the case where both particles are spin-up (i.e. |++>), then the total spin is 1, and the projection m=(1/2)+(1/2)=1. If you consider the case where both are spin-down (i.e. |-->), then the total spin is still 1, but the projection is now m=(-1/2)+(-1/2)=-1.

Does that help?

Thank you very much...but... I still have some questions >"<

i know the following information

S2 = (S1+S2)2 : s(s+1) * h'
SZ = S1Z + S2Z : m * h'
S1Z : m1 * h'
S2Z : m2 * h'

h' means h bar

I can deduce m = 1 from the fact that |++> means two spin up ; 1/2 + 1/2 = 1

but i don't know how to know s = 1... @@

Last edited:
Ethan0718 said:
Thank you very much...but... I still have some questions >"<

i know the following information

S2 = (S1+S2)2 : s(s+1) * h'
SZ = S1Z + S2Z : m * h'
S1Z : m1 * h'
S2Z : m2 * h'

h' means h bar

I can deduce m = 1 from the fact that |++> means two spin up ; 1/2 + 1/2 = 1

but i don't know how to know s = 1... @@

Spins are angular momenta, so you have to follow the rules for their addition. Specifically, any two angular momenta j1 and j2, can add together to give a resultant total angular momentum in the set, {(j1+j2, j1+j2 - 1, j1+j2 - 2, ... , j1- j2+1, j1 - j2}.

In QM, angular momenta can often be treated "as if" they are vectors (although they are *not* vectors), particularly with respect to coupling (addition) of multiple angular momenta. Note that the above expression is just the usual triangle inequality for vector addition, with the additional stipulation that angular momentum is quantized such that the smallest allowable step size is hbar.

For this case, we have s1=s2=1/2, so possible values for s are 0 and 1.

1. How is the state |s=1,m=1> defined in quantum mechanics?

The state |s=1,m=1> refers to a specific quantum state in which the total spin of a system is equal to 1 and the projection of that spin onto a specified axis (in this case, the z-axis) is also equal to 1. This state is typically used to describe the behavior of two particles with opposite spins, such as in the case of an electron and a proton.

2. Why is the state |s=1,m=1> important in quantum physics?

The state |s=1,m=1> is important because it represents a specific combination of spin states that has unique properties and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles on a quantum level. It is also commonly used in experiments and calculations involving quantum systems.

3. How does the state |s=1,m=1> relate to the concept of angular momentum?

In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is a fundamental property of a particle that is related to its rotation or its movement around an axis. The state |s=1,m=1> is a specific combination of spin states that corresponds to a total angular momentum of 1, where the projection of that momentum onto a chosen axis is also 1.

4. Can the state |s=1,m=1> exist in a superposition with other spin states?

Yes, the state |s=1,m=1> can exist in a superposition with other spin states. This means that the system can be in a combination of multiple states simultaneously, and the final state will depend on the relative amplitudes and phases of the individual states in the superposition.

5. How is the state |s=1,m=1> used in quantum computing?

The state |s=1,m=1> is used in quantum computing as a building block for creating quantum gates, which are essential for performing operations on qubits (quantum bits). These operations are necessary for carrying out complex calculations and simulations that would be impossible with classical computers.