Why does strontium carbonate smell like rotten eggs when reacted with HCl?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrjeffy321
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Smell
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 12K views
Science Advisor
Messages
876
Reaction score
1
I was preparing a solution of Strontium Chloride by reacting Strontium Carbonate powder with some dilute Hydrochloric acid.
As expected, the acid reacted with the SrCO3 and began to fizzle (Carbon Dioxide forming in a similar reaction to vinegar and baking soda). I began to detect a slight odor in the air and, upon further inspection, it was coming from the SrCO3 + HCl reaction taking place. I wafted it a bit, it smelled a little like it had some Sulfur in it and it had the “rotten egg” smell. The only gas/gasses being produced in the reaction was/were colorless.

What could have caused this Sulfury odor? Does it have something to do with the Strontium? Or perhaps is it an impurity in the SrCO3?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think you probably have a sulfur impurity. This seller, http://www.atomixinc.com/strontiumcarbonate.htm , lists sulfur as a possible impurity. I get a strong sulfur smell when I add acids to iron sources because of sulfur impurities. You only need a little bit of H2S in order to smell it- 0.0047 ppm is the threshold for smelling it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I thought, its probably impurities.
It sure was strange getting that odor from a Strontium compound.