Why does SU(2) have 3 parameters/generators like the SO(3)?

• I
  • Thread starter TimeRip496
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Su(2)
In summary, the SU(2) matrix in particle physics has one fixed real parameter, leaving three free real parameters. This is necessary for the matrix to be unitary and special. This can also be seen as a rotation in a 3D space with an imaginary axis, or as elements of the Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{su}(2)## and points on the sphere ##\mathbb{S}^3##.
TimeRip496
From "Symmetry and the Standard Model: Mathematics and Particle Physics by Matthew Robinson", it states that 'SU(2) matrix has one of the real parameters fixed,leaving three real parameters'.

I don't really get this part and hope someone can clear my doubt.

To ensure that the matrix is unitary, c=-b* & d=a* while a=a and b=b. To ensure that it is special, ad-bc=1

Together, $$ ad-bc=a.a^*-b.(-b^*)=|a|^2 + |b|^2 = 1 $$

$$a=Re(a)+i Im(a)$$ & $$b=Re(b)+i Im(b)$$ ← From here I got 4 parameters.

$$ |a|^2 + |b|^2 = (Re(a))^2 +(Im(a))^2 + (Re(b))^2 +(Im(b))^2 = 1 $$← I still see 4 parameters thus I am still not sure how the unit determinant fix one of the parameter.

___________________________________________________________________________________
Can I think of it another way as in just like SO(3) rotation, in SU(2) we also have a 3D space except instead of z axis, we have the i(imaginary) axis. So is no different from rotation in 3D space other than just changing the one of the axis to i-axis.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can write ##a=\pm \sqrt{1-b^2-c^2-d^2}## which leaves you with three free variables ##b,c,d##.

Or you can pass over to its Lie algebra ##\mathfrak{su}(2)##, which is of the same dimension and has the ##i-##multiples of the Pauli-matrices as real basis.

Or you can identify an element ##\begin{bmatrix}x_1\mathbf{1}+x_2\mathbf{i} & -x_3\mathbf{1}+x_4\mathbf{i} \\x_3\mathbf{1}+x_4\mathbf{i} & x_1\mathbf{1}-x_2\mathbf{i} \end{bmatrix}## of ##SU(2)## with a point ##x_1\mathbf{1}+x_2\mathbf{i}+x_3\mathbf{j}+x_4\mathbf{k}## in ##\mathbb{R}^4##. Now the determinant condition reduces these point to the sphere ##\mathbb{S}^3##, which is a three-dimensional manifold.

Likes vanhees71, Demystifier and Jilang

1. Why does SU(2) have 3 parameters/generators like the SO(3)?

This question is frequently asked because both SU(2) and SO(3) are Lie groups that have the same number of parameters or generators. This may seem counterintuitive since SU(2) is a complex group while SO(3) is a real group.

2. What are the parameters/generators of SU(2) and SO(3)?

The parameters or generators of SU(2) are 2x2 complex matrices, while the parameters or generators of SO(3) are 3x3 real matrices. These parameters represent the infinitesimal transformations of the groups.

3. How do the parameters/generators of SU(2) and SO(3) relate to each other?

The parameters or generators of SU(2) and SO(3) are related by a process called the complexification of a Lie algebra. Essentially, the complex parameters of SU(2) can be seen as a subset of the real parameters of SO(3).

4. What is the significance of having 3 parameters/generators in both SU(2) and SO(3)?

The fact that both SU(2) and SO(3) have 3 parameters or generators is significant because it means that they both share the same algebraic structure. This allows for a deep mathematical connection between the two groups and allows for the use of similar techniques and methods in their study.

5. Are there any physical implications of SU(2) having 3 parameters/generators like SO(3)?

Yes, there are physical implications of SU(2) having 3 parameters or generators like SO(3). This is because SU(2) is the symmetry group of quantum systems with spin 1/2, while SO(3) is the symmetry group of classical systems with rotational symmetry. This connection between the two groups plays a crucial role in the study of quantum mechanics and its relation to classical mechanics.