Why does the mean derivative of the scalar virial equal zero over one period?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Karol
Messages
1,380
Reaction score
22

Homework Statement


In the Virial theorem The scalar virial G is defined by the equation:
$$G=\vec{p}\cdot \vec{r}$$
Where ##\vec{p}## is the momentum vector and ##\vec{r}## the location vector.
When i take the mean of the derivative ##\bar{\dot{G}}## over a whole period T it equals 0. why?

Homework Equations


$$\vec{p}\cdot \vec{r}=(mv)\cdot \cos \theta \cdot r$$

The Attempt at a Solution


I understand this scalar product is zeroed during one period, but why?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You said the function G is periodic. You want the mean of its time-derivative.

How do you calculate the mean of a function?

What is the integral of the derivative?

ehild
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
I think i understand.
$$\bar{\dot{G}}=\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}\frac{dG}{dt}dt=\frac{1}{T}(G(T)-G(0))$$
Because the end point and the start point are identical G(T)=G(0)
 
Karol said:
I think i understand.
$$\bar{\dot{G}}=\frac{1}{T}\int_{0}^{T}\frac{dG}{dt}dt=\frac{1}{T}(G(T)-G(0))$$
Because the end point and the start point are identical G(T)=G(0)

Correct :smile:

ehild