Why does water have a higher melting point than other group 4 hydrides?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
andyman20
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hi..
I've finished this topic but I was confused in this question.

The question is :

The main reason for the high melting point of water compared to other group4 hydrides can be explained by:

a.Ionic Bonding
b.Covalent Bonding
c.Dispersion Forces
d.Hydrogen Bonding

I'm not sure which it is.

Thank you...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, water is not a group 4 hydride - it is a group 6 hydride.

Ask yourself what kind of bonds (inter- or intra-molecular ?) you need to break in order to melt something.

What do you mean by "I've finished this topic" ?
 
yeah..

i know that its one of the intermolecular forces but i can't figure which one it is. How do you figure that out??
THANKS
 
Which of those forces are intermolecular and which ones are intramolecular ?
 
Read up in your chemistry text, on the section intermolecular attractions, it should have a whole section devoted to water specifically...yes it's easy as that