Why doesn't oil and water mix?

• Thread starter JordanGo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oil Water
In summary, water and oil do not mix at room temperature due to the difference in entropy and free energy between the two substances. The entropy of water molecules around a hydrophobic molecule is -(Kb)ln(2) when the multiplicity is reduced from 6 to 3. This difference in entropy and free energy leads to endothermic and exothermic reactions that prevent the two substances from mixing.
JordanGo

Homework Statement

Explain why water and oil doesn't mix at room temperature using the entropy and free energy that you found to explain.

Homework Equations

The entropy that I found is -(Kb)ln(2) and the free energy is (Kb)(T)ln(2).

The Attempt at a Solution

Can someone direct me in the right path how to go about this question. I'm thinking it might be do to endothermic and exothermic reactions but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the entropy and free energy of what?

I found it for water molecules around a hydrophobic molecule when multiplicity is reduced from 6 to 3

1. Why don't oil and water mix?

Oil and water do not mix because they have different molecular structures and polarities. Water molecules are polar, meaning they have a positive and negative end, while oil molecules are nonpolar. This difference in polarity causes them to repel each other and not mix together.

2. Can you mix oil and water by shaking or stirring?

No, shaking or stirring oil and water will not cause them to mix. While they may appear to mix temporarily, they will eventually separate due to their different polarities. This is because the molecules will continue to repel each other, causing them to separate into distinct layers.

3. Why do oil and water form distinct layers?

Oil and water form distinct layers because water is denser than oil. This means that water molecules are more tightly packed together and sink to the bottom, while oil molecules are less dense and float on top. This is why they do not mix, as the molecules are physically separated by their different densities.

4. Can you make oil and water mix by adding an emulsifying agent?

Yes, an emulsifying agent can help oil and water mix together. These agents contain molecules that have both polar and nonpolar ends, allowing them to bridge the gap between oil and water molecules. This breaks down the repulsion between the two substances and allows them to form a stable mixture.

5. Why is it important to understand why oil and water don't mix?

Understanding why oil and water don't mix is important in many industries, such as oil extraction and pharmaceuticals. It also has practical applications in everyday life, such as cooking and cleaning. Additionally, understanding the properties of oil and water can help us make informed decisions about the environment and potential pollution.