Heat of Why Does Reaction Proceed Anyway?

• Thread starter brake4country
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, when solid potassium chloride is dissolved in water, the energies of the bonds formed are lower than the energies of the bonds broken. However, the reaction still proceeds due to the increased disorder and entropy of the system. This is because the interaction between potassium and chloride ions increases the electronegativity of the water. This reaction is endothermic, despite the bonds formed having lower energy, due to the increase in entropy.
brake4country

Homework Statement

When solid potassium chloride is dissolved in water, the energies of the bonds formed are lower than the energies of the bonds broken. Why does the reaction proceed anyway?
(A) Undissolved potassium chloride compensates for the portion that dissolves
(B) The reaction does not take place under standard conditions
(C) The electronegativity of the water is increased by the interaction with potassium and chloride ions.
(D) The increased disorder due to the mixing results in an increased entropy of the system.

Homework Equations

na

The Attempt at a Solution

I solved this problem by process of elimination, but I must wonder: if the energies of the bonds formed are lower in energy, doesn't this imply that the products are more stable? Wouldn't it also imply that if this reaction were plotted as a bell-shaped curve, that it would resemble that of an exothermic reaction?

Physics news on Phys.org
"Stable?" Double and triple thinking things does not lead to increased understanding. Heat of fusion is it.

The reason I ask is because the solution states "if the bonds formed have lower energy than the bonds broken, the reaction is endothermic". I thought that lower energy would result in an exothermic process. What am I missing here?

1. What is the heat of reaction?

The heat of reaction, also known as enthalpy of reaction, is the change in energy that occurs during a chemical reaction. It is the difference in energy between the reactants and the products.

2. Why is heat of reaction important?

The heat of reaction is important because it tells us whether a reaction is exothermic (releases heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat). This information is crucial in understanding the thermodynamics of a reaction and predicting its feasibility.

3. How is the heat of reaction measured?

The heat of reaction can be measured experimentally using a calorimeter. This device measures the heat released or absorbed during a reaction and gives an accurate measure of the heat of reaction.

4. What factors affect the heat of reaction?

The heat of reaction can be affected by several factors, including the temperature, pressure, concentration of reactants, and the presence of a catalyst. These factors can alter the energy levels of the reactants and products, thus changing the heat of reaction.

5. Is the heat of reaction always the same?

No, the heat of reaction can vary depending on the specific reactants and products involved in the reaction. It can also vary with temperature and pressure. However, for a given reaction, the heat of reaction will always be constant.