Why doesn't the tape trick work with scotch tape?

• Thread starter Twigg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, the conversation discusses a trick for tearing tape by folding and pulling it apart quickly, which works with most types of tape but not with scotch tape. The individual asks for more details about the function and material of scotch tape and mentions a specific type, "Magic^TM Office Tape." They also mention a failed attempt to demonstrate the trick to a coworker.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Mods, I know "General Engineering" hardly describes this question, but it doesn't seem to fit anywhere. Move it where you wish.

There's a trick that works with most tape (especially packing tape), where you fold the tape on itself, make a crease, then pull the creased tape apart quickly. The tape will tear neatly apart, and it spares you the effort of finding a pair of scissors. For a video demo, check out "method 3" of this video.

Today, I tried to show off to a coworker using this trick to tear scotch tape, and I made a big ol' fool out of myself. I know I can do it with most kinds of tape. What gives? Is scotch tape more elastic? Thinner? What parameters do you all think are critical? My dignity is at stake here :cry::oldbiggrin:

Engineering news on Phys.org
Twigg said:
scotch tape
Could you please give more details? I could not find anything conclusive about the material or function of this particular tape type.

Also, 3M makes a zillion kinds of tape, all branded "Scotch".

Sorry about that. Should've known better than to post right before bed.

3/4 inch "Magic^TM Office Tape" under the Scotch brand.

What I observed was that the tape wouldn't tear, it wouldn't even plasticly stretch, it would just elastically snap back to its original shape and resist the pull.

1. Why doesn't the tape trick work with scotch tape?

The tape trick, where a piece of tape is used to remove lint or hair from clothing, does not work with scotch tape because it is not sticky enough. Scotch tape is designed for paper and other smooth surfaces, not for picking up small particles like lint or hair.

2. Can I use scotch tape for the tape trick?

No, scotch tape is not recommended for the tape trick because it is not sticky enough to effectively remove lint or hair from clothing. It is better to use a stronger and stickier tape, such as duct tape or packing tape.

3. What is the best type of tape to use for the tape trick?

The best type of tape to use for the tape trick is a strong and sticky tape, such as duct tape or packing tape. These types of tapes have a stronger adhesive that is better suited for picking up small particles like lint or hair from clothing.

4. Why does the tape trick work with some types of tape but not others?

The tape trick works with some types of tape because they have a stronger adhesive that is better at picking up small particles like lint or hair from clothing. Other types of tape, such as scotch tape, are not designed for this purpose and therefore do not work as well.

5. Is there a way to make the tape trick work with scotch tape?

No, there is not a way to make the tape trick work with scotch tape. The adhesive on scotch tape is not strong enough to effectively pick up lint or hair from clothing. It is best to use a stronger and stickier tape, such as duct tape or packing tape, for this purpose.