Why don't ideal diodes conduct with a 1kHz 10V P2P sine wave input?

  • Thread starter Thread starter francisg3
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Diodes Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
francisg3
Messages
31
Reaction score
0
I have been given this problem as a homework assignment. I need to find the output voltage (V0) given an input of a 1kHz 10V peak to peak sine wave. According to the answer manual neither diode conducts. My reasoning behind this is that when the sine wave is +10V diode1 is reversed-bias and diode2 is forward biased and when the sine wave is -10V it's the opposite. Am I correct in saying so or is there another reason? Thank you.
 
Attachments
  • diodes_series.jpg
    diodes_series.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 480
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is right.

It also applies for all other voltage levels in the sinewave.