Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why ignore the potential term in the quantum Hamiltonian?

1. Oct 5, 2011 #1

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I am reading about the recovery of some classical rules from quantum mechanics.

My text (Shankar) considers a Hamiltonian operator in a one-dimensional space
    H = P^2 / 2m + V(X)
    where P and X are the momentum and position operators respectively.

It then asserts that [X,H] = [X,P^2/2m]

That is, it has discarded the potential term of the Hamiltonian without comment or explanation.

How is that justified? I would have thought that if, as indicated, V is a function of X, the hamiltonian operator should be expressed in terms of that function.
    For example, if V is a gravitational potential V(X) = -k/X, I would expect the above commutator to be

[X,H] = [X,P^2/2m-k/X] = [X,P] - k[X,1/X]

Why does Shankar discard the second term?
    If one didn't discard it, what would [X,1/X] mean? Is there any way to handle the reciprocal of an operator?

Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The commutator of an operator with any function of itself is 0. That's why it's discarded. [x,f(x)]=0 for any f.

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3

tom.stoer

Science Advisor

You can see that by letting act V(x) and x act on a test function:

[x, V(x)] f(x) = xVf - Vxf = 0

(simply b/c multiplication of functions is commutative)

This does no longer hold for p wich acts as a derivative; using the stanbdard rules for derivatives w.r.t. x one finds

[p, V(x)] f(x) = pVf - Vpf = (pV)f + V(pf) - V (pf) ~ V'f + Vf' - Vf' = V'f

5. Oct 5, 2011 #4
    Think of it in terms of linear algebra. Parameter x -> operator X; parameter 1/x -> operator X-1. Then you have XX-1=X-1X=I, (the identity operator), because inverses commute (otherwise you wouldn't get I regardless).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook