Why In Struvite formation HPO42- is favored over PO43-?

In summary, the equation that was used to calculate the pH where the solubility of Struvite is minimal is as follows: K_a(NH_4^{+})= [NH_3][H^+]/[NH_4^+] and K_a(HPO_4^{2-})=[PO_4^{3-}][H^+]/[HPO_4^{2-}].
demander
Cheers community, I have been studying the Struvite formation from respective ions. Being the general formula for Struvite MgNH4PO4.6H2O I intuitively tought the reaction would be
Mg2+ + NH4+ + PO43- + 6H2O↔ MgNH4PO4.6H2O.

However from literature and from practice, not only the optimal pH seems to be around the range from 7 to 10/11 where HPO42- is predominant as when Struvite forms tends to slightly decrease the pH of solutuon, which gives an hint for the release of a proton(H+), what suggests the real formula for struvite is
Mg2+ + NH4+ + HPO42- + 6H2O↔ MgNH4PO4.6H2O + H+.

My question is wouldn't it be more favorable for the system to generate Struvite directly from PO43- instead of HPO42-? doesn't it create a further energy consuming step for the deprotonation of the Hydrogen Phosphate?
From what I checked being pKa = 12.346 for reaction HPO42- = H+ + PO43-, the Free energy Gibbs Variation is ≅30,6 kJ mol-1, implying from what I know that this deprotonation step is not a spontaneous reaction.

Might there be a reason I'm negleting or forgetting that might explain why this reaction is driven by HPO42- instead of PO43-?

Thanks in advance for any insight you might have.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think at higher pH values, rather than NH4+, NH3 would be the predominant species in solution which is not even ionic and therefore might be more difficult to embed into the crystal lattice.

Likes demander
I just tried to calculate the pH where the solubility of Struvite is minimal. If I got my maths right, the optimal pH is ##(\mathrm{pK_a(HPO_4^{2-})+pK_a(NH_4^{+}))/2 }##, which is about 10.9.

Likes demander
Thank you DrDu, I was so focused on Phosphorus I didn't thought to remember the NH4+ turning to NH3 an evolving from solution.
DrDu said:
I just tried to calculate the pH where the solubility of Struvite is minimal. If I got my maths right, the optimal pH is ##(\mathrm{pK_a(HPO_4^{2-})+pK_a(NH_4^{+}))/2 }##, which is about 10.9.
That is an inteteresting value. What expression(s) did you use to get there to this sum of Pkas I don't remember this experession(maybe because I was too many years without working with solutions)?

I used the equations
##
K_{sp}=[Mg^{2}][NH_4^+][PO_4^{3-}] ##
## K_a(NH_4^{+})= [NH_3][H^+]/[NH_4^+]##
##K_a(HPO_4^{2-})=[PO_4^{3-}][H^+]/[HPO_4^{2-}]##
##[Mg^{2+}]=[NH_3]+[NH_4^+]=[HPO_4^{2-}]+[PO_4^{3-}]##
And looked for a minimum of ##[Mg^{2+}]## as a function of ##[H^+]##.

Likes demander

1. Why is HPO42- favored over PO43- in struvite formation?

HPO42- is favored over PO43- in struvite formation due to its higher solubility and lower lattice energy. This means that HPO42- is more likely to dissolve and form bonds with other molecules, making it the preferred ion in the formation of struvite crystals.

2. What is the difference between HPO42- and PO43-?

HPO42- and PO43- are both polyatomic ions, but they differ in the number of oxygen atoms. HPO42- has one less oxygen atom than PO43-, which affects its solubility and lattice energy, making it more favorable for struvite formation.

3. How does the presence of HPO42- affect the formation of struvite?

The presence of HPO42- increases the likelihood of struvite formation due to its ability to form strong bonds with other molecules. HPO42- also has a higher charge-to-size ratio compared to PO43-, making it more reactive and easier to incorporate into the crystal lattice.

4. Can PO43- still be present in struvite crystals?

Yes, PO43- can still be present in small amounts in struvite crystals. However, HPO42- is the dominant ion in struvite formation due to its favored solubility and reactivity. PO43- may be present due to incomplete conversion or the presence of other compounds.

5. Are there any factors that can influence the formation of HPO42- in struvite?

Yes, the concentration of HPO42- in the solution, pH level, and the presence of other ions such as Mg2+ can all affect the formation of HPO42- in struvite. Higher concentrations of HPO42- and a more basic pH can increase its likelihood of being incorporated into the crystal lattice.