Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why incidence and adjacency matrices (graph theory)h

1. Oct 4, 2012 #1
    My book introduces the concept of adjacency and incidence matrices but I don't understand its use.
    Normally we shift from mathematical symbols and representation to graphical interpretation like in Cartesian graphs - to visualize functions better we draw them on a graph.
    But here we are doing the opposite. From nice graphs we are shifting towards matrices that do not help us much visually

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

That's false. For example, we generally don't compute derivative of a function by graphing it and then trying to do some geometric construction on a graph. My impression of visual presentations is that they are rather like decorations that accompany the mainstream of mathematics as it follows a mostly symbolic course.

As to graph theory, what would a visual proof about a graph with 5,000 nodes look like? What are the rules of the game for visual proofs? Do you say, "See, you can look at the picture and tell that..."?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook