Why is a 40GB iPod so hard to fill up with music?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mystery
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 2K views
Smurf
Messages
497
Reaction score
3
Has anyone actually seen it done? I'm sitting here staring at my petty collection of 1248 songs on my 40GB and the little bar at the bottom of the screen is telling me it's less than 1/8th full.

HOW THE **** AM I SUPPOSED TO FILL UP 40GB THESE GUYS ARE INSANE!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have 20GB on my iriver. Then again, I know people with >300GB of music on hard drives. It's quite perplexing how they've managed it :confused:
 
I have about 1,600 albums, or about 160 GB of music. The only reason I haven't purchased an iPod is that they're all too small still.

- Warren
 
I have a 15 gb'er and I only have the hit songs in it since it's pretty impossible to cram it with all the songs and be able to listen to them all. I'm considering getting the mini since it fits easier in the pocket and my music collection isn't that gargantuan.

160+ gb and up and you can start your own radio station, no need for satellite radio
 
You're correct, I have no use for satellite radio. My own collection is superior anyway, and I always play stuff I like.

- Warren
 
chroot said:
I have about 1,600 albums, or about 160 GB of music. The only reason I haven't purchased an iPod is that they're all too small still.

- Warren

*cry*

I have only 160 MB :D
I don't know i am toooooooooooooooooooo picky, or may be i am tooooo geek? ppl say i am not, but who knows lol.

I delete many after i found they are not 10's for me, and when i just want to hear good 9's and 8's , the netwrok on the floor can let me listen to other ppl music "living on hall on campus" :biggrin:

Save the children, and save space :)
 
Smurf said:
Has anyone actually seen it done? I'm sitting here staring at my petty collection of 1248 songs on my 40GB and the little bar at the bottom of the screen is telling me it's less than 1/8th full.

Many times acutally. I've heard of people with hundreds of GB and they say they actually listen to them all... someone want to do the math of that with say 192k encoding rate and see how much actual time that is? Say 200gb
 
I have about 50 days worth of music. I certainly don't listen to all of it with equal frequency, but I don't have any that I don't like.

- Warren
 
chroot said:
I have about 1,600 albums, or about 160 GB of music. The only reason I haven't purchased an iPod is that they're all too small still.

- Warren

Oooh, that's helpful...so about 10 albums would use about 1 GB of space? I've been thinking about getting an iPod, but had no idea which size to get. I didn't want to spend extra to get more space on it if I'd never get close to filling it, but the base prices are high enough that I didn't want to start out with something too small and get frustrated with it. Though, any of them is better than carrying around a stack of CDs and a CD player that plays only one at a time.
 
Albums typically range from 60MB to 100MB each, depending upon album length and the encoding.

- Warren
 
chroot said:
Albums typically range from 60MB to 100MB each, depending upon album length and the encoding.

- Warren

Great! That's very helpful. :smile: