Most likely he did not mean chlorine gas, as I think it would be hard to "add water to gas" since chlorine gas for pools is stored compressed in cylinders.
However, I am still not following why adding water to a chlorine solution (presumably water and calcium hypochlorite), or hypochlorite powder would cause a reaction, unless there was something in the water... the sentence preceding the quote that
@leafjerky posted is as follows: "Finally, if the choice is to alternate between stabilized and unstabilized chorine,
they should not be stored near each other. The reaction of an isocyanurate with hypochlorite can result in rapid formation of nitrogen trichloride, which at high enough concentrations will detonate spontaneously with great violence."
This doesn't sound what the OP's neighbor did, as this would involve mixing two chemicals. HOWEVER, where did the water come from? It seems like, unless the water he was adding to the chlorine had something disolved in the water of fairly high concentration (an isocyanurate?), I'm still not following how adding "tap water" to a liquid chlorine solution (if pool places still sell those yellow jugs), or water to a powder, would cause a violent reaction...
I DO know strong chlorine is dangerous/reactive stuff, and can be "fun" to play with for a pyromaniac 16 year old... (Back when you could be a 16 year old pyromaniac and set a pipe bomb off in the woods and not be guilty of committing a terroristic act and locked up for 10 years...)