Why is an electron 1084 times lighter than a neutron?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter godzilla7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass Ratios
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
godzilla7
Is there any reason why an electron is 1084(I think that's right) times smaller than the mass of a neutron. is there any mathematical or "physical" reason why this works for atoms and if so what would be the consequences of a proton having half that mass but with the same ratio to an electron or indeed having a different ratio? Would there be any real world implications or is the ratio important rather than the masses?

Is this a 'it just is' answer question?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is an unaswered question. Wilzeck's "Mount Planck" is a good sketch of the issue.
 
Compare the mass of an electron with the masses of up and down quarks and tell me whether the ratio is that "impressive"...

BTW:~1039.6 is the number you were supposed to write...

Daniel.
 
The reason I asked was?

At work I'm talking to a guy who thinks he know's why it is the masses are of that ratio, so I thought I might try and find out if anyone else had any insight, he's a clever guy but he won't tell me his ideas, he's a Dr on a mission, he'll be gratifeid to know that the science community know's not why, not surprisingly; I thought I'd find out if anyone else had approached this problem, I see that they haven't, good I'd love to work with a Nobel prize winner:) just kidding but he thinks he's close to finding the answer, if he is great but I doubt it; thanks for replying to the post anyway,all answers greatfuly recieved
 
godzilla7, please redirect your friend to my wiki page
http://www.physcomments.org/wiki/index.php?title=Bakery:HdV

for info in different amateurish approaches.

The most current measured values are always in the "particle data group" website http://pdg.lbl.gov/
 
Last edited by a moderator: