Why is excess fat stored near the stomach and buttocks?

  • Thread starter Thread starter PhysicBeginner
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Weird
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
PhysicBeginner
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
I'm not sure if this question is suppose to be in this section but I'll ask anyway.
Does anyone know why we store our excess fat mostly near the stomach and buttocks. I heard it has something to do with forces and physics, and it also seems to be an advantage.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps because it's close to the center of body's mass and so requires less energy to maneuver around (i.e. less torque required)?
 
I'm just speculating here, but I think the location of fat deposits should have something to do with maintaining a stable body temperature, however I'm sure there are a ton of explanations out there as to why we're built the way we are.

Maybe someone with a background in biology should chime in?