Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is impact parameter not directly measurable?

1. Nov 3, 2015 #1
    I'm trying to understand a few things about the kinematics of collision processes.

I guess it's because we calculate the scattered angle of the projectile and then back calculate to get a value for the impact parameter. Is this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 3, 2015 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Are you talking about elementary particles or billiard balls?

If the former, a direct measurement of impact parameter would require a trajectory that is good to 10^-16 meters or so over several meters. How do you propose to do that?

4. Nov 3, 2015 #3
    Can you simplify you answer...

5. Nov 3, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Cab you answer my questions?

6. Nov 3, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

For high-energy physics: Try to measure the position of a particle "somewhere in the accelerator" with a precision of 0.000000000000001 meters.

7. Nov 4, 2015 #6

ChrisVer

Gold Member

to be honest I don't get how you suggested that number (E-16 meters). Does it have anything to do with point-likeness?

8. Nov 4, 2015 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

A proton is 10^-15 meters across. If you want to measure the impact parameter to 10%, you need to control the collision geometry to 10% of a proton radius, or about 10^-16 meters.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook