Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why is it useful to isolate the highest order derivative when solving DEs?

1. Apr 3, 2012 #1
    i'm studying differential equations, the book states the following:

11v4f2u.png

i want to know what are some of the "theoretical and computational purposes" behind it?

i always notice the book likes to make the coefficient of the highest derivative equal to 1
    but why is that?!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2012 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you've done Euler's method or separation of variables, you saw in the first order case how you have to solve for the derivative as a function of x and y. This extends to higher orders... suppose we have a second order differential equation

[tex] \frac{d^2 y}{dx^2} = x*y + \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]
    and y(0)=1, y'(0)=1

I want to do an Euler's method kind of calculation. This requires knowing the derivative at every step. Unfortunately I don't have a formula for the derivative, so I have to use the second derivative to re-calculate the derivative each time

y(.1)=y(0)+.1*y'(0) = 1.1
    y'(.1)=y'(0)+.1*y''(0)
    I know what y''(0) is from the differential equation: y''(0)=0*1+1=1
    y'(.1)=1+.1*1=1.1

Now if I want to update to get y(.2) and y'(.2), I need to know what y''(.1) is. So I use the differential equation
    y''(.1) = xy+y' = .1*1.1+1.1 = 1.21

Now I can go to x=.2
    y(.2)=y(.1)+.1*y'(.1)=1.21
    y'(.2)=y'(.1)+.1*y''(.1)=1.221

Now I need to know what y''(.2) is because I want to be able to calculate y and y' at x=.3, etc. So

y''(.2)=x*y+y' = .2*1.21+1.221 = 1.463

Now I can keep going, estimating y(x) for as large a value of x as I want. The computation only required being able to solve for the second derivative of y at each step, since I already knew all the lower derivatives, so it was useful to have the equation in the form y''=f(x,y,y')

4. Apr 3, 2012 #3
    thank you sir!, haven't studied Euler's Method yet, but i do get the idea.

anyone got more info or examples? :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook