Why Is ln(N) Around 50 for Various Chemical Compositions?

  • Topic: Chemistry 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Yuriick
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Moles
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Yuriick
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Estimate the number N of molecules in a few grams of matter. Explain why in that case ln (N) is of the order of 50 whatever the chemical composition.

Homework Equations



M = m/N

where M is the molecular mass

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm really unsure about the entire question. I have no idea what he's asking, but I might be over thinking it. I don't even know where to start.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the average molar mass of a typical compound made of just a few atoms?

Say - 4 atoms. What is the molar mass of the lightest possible compound? Of the heaviest one?