Finding moles from volume? diatomic

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter latitude
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Moles Volume
In summary, the individual is asking if it is possible to find the number of moles of a diatomic ideal gas with the given information of volume, temperature, and the fact that it is not at STP. They mention that they are not familiar with chemistry and apologize for the question. The correct method would be to use the ideal gas equation, taking into account pressure, and the fact that the gas is diatomic does not affect the calculation.
latitude

Homework Statement

I'm just going to preface this by saying I know zilch about chemistry, I'm not even sure how I passed it the last time I took it, which was in grade eleven.

Is it possible for me to find moles of a gas with this information:
volume: 100 m^3 of air
The gas is a diatomic ideal gas
We are NOT at STP. The temp is 300 K.

Homework Equations

n = N/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm think diatomic means two... atoms... in a molecule? :P and i know
n = N/V, where N is the number of molecules. But I don't know the number of molecules. I'm not even sure this is possible, I've attempted to look it up on the net but most things seem to assume STP.
I apologize for this silly question. :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Volume and temperature are not enough, you need pressure as well and you have to use ideal gas equation. Whether gas is diatomic doesn't matter at this moment.

Yes, it is possible to find the number of moles of a gas using the given information. Diatomic refers to molecules with two atoms, and it is important to know the type of gas in order to determine its molar mass. In this case, we can assume the gas is oxygen (O2) as it is commonly found in air.

To find the number of moles, we can use the ideal gas law equation: PV = nRT. Since we are given the volume (V), temperature (T), and the gas is an ideal gas, we can rearrange the equation to solve for moles (n):

n = PV/RT

Plugging in the values given (P = atmospheric pressure, V = 100 m^3, T = 300 K), we can solve for n. However, we also need to know the gas constant (R) and the pressure (P) at the given temperature. Without this information, it is not possible to accurately determine the number of moles.

I would recommend checking with your teacher or textbook for the necessary information to solve this problem. It is always important to have all the necessary variables and information before attempting to solve a scientific problem.

1. How do I calculate the number of moles from a given volume of a diatomic substance?

To find the number of moles, you can use the formula: moles = volume (in liters) / molar volume (22.4 L/mol for diatomic substances). This will give you the number of moles present in the given volume of the substance.

2. Can I use the same formula for all diatomic substances?

Yes, the formula for calculating moles from volume can be used for all diatomic substances, as long as the molar volume of 22.4 L/mol is used.

3. Is it necessary to convert the volume to liters before using the formula?

Yes, the volume must be in liters for the formula to work correctly. If the volume is given in a different unit, it must be converted to liters first.

4. How accurate is this method for finding moles from volume?

This method is very accurate, as long as the molar volume of 22.4 L/mol is used and the volume is measured correctly. However, it is important to note that this method assumes ideal gas behavior, so it may not be as accurate for real gases under certain conditions.

5. Can I use this method for finding moles from volume for non-diatomic substances?

No, this method is specifically for diatomic substances and cannot be used for other types of substances. Each type of substance has its own molar volume, so the formula will be different for non-diatomic substances.