Why is my calculated power output different from the expected value?

• Thread starter Mark Sullivan
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of power using average velocity and torque, and the difference between taking the average of a bunch of averages and calculating the power for each time sample. The conclusion is that the latter method is more accurate and the discussion also touches on a larger question about measuring power on a bicycle with round and non-round chainrings.
Mark Sullivan
> Average velocity = 60rpm
> Average torque = (10 + 50 + 10 + 50) / 4 = 30TU=
> Power = 60rpm x 30TU = 1,800 power units

> However, if you calculate the power for each time sample (hence account for the different velocity recorded during each sample), then:
>
> Power = (62x10 + 58x50 + 62x10 + 58x50) / 4 = 1,760 power units

Help me get my head around this. I know the first is correct for power around an axis. The second is incorrect and is 40 power units under. If I do this Power = (58x10 + 62x50 + 58x10 + 62x50)/4 = 1,840 power units or 40 over. So why? It feels like the reason is just at the edge of my brain. Somewhere in school I must have learned the answer.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The product of the averages is not, in general, equal to the average of the products.

Mark Sullivan said:
> Average velocity = 60rpm
> Average torque = (10 + 50 + 10 + 50) / 4 = 30TU=
> Power = 60rpm x 30TU = 1,800 power units

> However, if you calculate the power for each time sample (hence account for the different velocity recorded during each sample), then:
>
> Power = (62x10 + 58x50 + 62x10 + 58x50) / 4 = 1,760 power units
The calculation just above is not a weighted average. It doesn't take into account the different times for each sample, but instead just divides by the number of time intervals.
Taking the average of a bunch of averages doesn't produce correct results. To see why this is true, there's an old math problem that says it's 1 mile to the top of a hill. If you average 30 mph on the trip up, how fast must you go back down the hill to average 60mph for the entire trip?

The intuitive answer (which is wrong) is that the downhill trip should be 90 mph.
Mark Sullivan said:
Help me get my head around this. I know the first is correct for power around an axis. The second is incorrect and is 40 power units under. If I do this Power = (58x10 + 62x50 + 58x10 + 62x50)/4 = 1,840 power units or 40 over. So why? It feels like the reason is just at the edge of my brain. Somewhere in school I must have learned the answer.

Thanks, I did know that.

I am confused about a larger question that this is part of and I can't figure out which is right. It involves measuring power on a bicycle at the crank and whether elliptical or non round chain rings actually overweight/underweight a power reading when a crank speed is measured only once per revolution or non round chain rings are just an increase/decrease in the lever and well work is work and it is coming from your foot on the pedal which is on a circular radius. I lean to the latter but the counter argument is very good of which the above is part of it.

I guess I should start another thread but which forum physics or mechanical engineering?
Thanks

Mark Sullivan said:
I guess I should start another thread but which forum physics or mechanical engineering?
I lean toward mechanical engineering.

Thanks, I started the thread to mechanical engineering as "Bicycle Crank Power Meters and Round and Non-Round Chainrings" in case anyone reading this thread is interested.

What is "averaging differences"?

"Averaging differences" is a mathematical concept that involves finding the average or mean of a set of numbers that represent the differences between two values.

Why is "averaging differences" important in science?

"Averaging differences" is important in science because it allows us to compare and analyze data. By finding the average difference between two values, we can determine the overall trend or pattern in the data.

How do you calculate the average difference?

The average difference can be calculated by adding up all the differences and dividing by the total number of differences. This gives us the mean or average difference.

What is the significance of a positive or negative average difference?

A positive average difference indicates that the values are generally increasing, while a negative average difference indicates that the values are generally decreasing. This can help us understand the direction and rate of change in the data.

Can "averaging differences" be used to compare more than two values?

Yes, "averaging differences" can be used to compare any number of values. Simply find the differences between each value and the reference value, and then calculate the average difference as usual.