Why is my derivative of 2^(x^2) off by a factor of two?

  • Thread starter Thread starter aguycalledwil
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Differentiating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
aguycalledwil
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
I'm trying to differentiate 2^(x^2), but I'm getting a factor of two out and can't figure out why. I approached the question as follows..

y=2^(x^2) , so y=(2^x)^x
u=2^x y=u^x

du/dx = (2^x)ln2
dy/du = xu^(x-1)
= x(2^x)^(x-1)
= x(2)^((x^2)-x)

So dy/dx =
[x(2)^((x^2)-x)]*[(2^x)Ln2]

However, on the mark scheme it says when x=2, the gradient should be 64ln2. Using my derivative, at x=2 the gradient comes out at 32ln2. Can anyone help me find where I've gone wrong? Much appreciated!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]2^{x^2}[/itex] is a composition of functions [itex]f(x) = 2^x[/itex] and [itex]g(x) = x^2[/itex]. You know that [itex]f'(x) = 2^x \ln 2[/itex] and [itex]g'(x) = 2x[/itex]

There is a formula for derivative of composite functions. [itex](f \circ g)'(x) = f'(g(x))g'(x)[/itex]. This is just another form of the chain rule. After blindly pasting the functions we already have, we get [itex]2x \cdot 2^{x^2} \ln 2[/itex]

I can't see what error you made as those formulas are not very readable. Try using latex.
 
aguycalledwil said:
I'm trying to differentiate 2^(x^2), but I'm getting a factor of two out and can't figure out why. I approached the question as follows..

y=2^(x^2) , so y=(2^x)^x
u=2^x y=u^x

du/dx = (2^x)ln2
dy/du = xu^(x-1)

That's wrong right there. The rule [itex]\frac{d}{dx}x^n = nx^{n-1}[/itex] ONLY applies when n is a constant. If n is a variable like x or a function of x, the rule simply does not work.

Your best bet here is to use Chain Rule as hamsterman mentioned.
 
Another approach is to take the (natural) log of both sides of y = 2x2 and differentiate implicitly.